Mo-gas motor & ethanol blend?

Cat-alac

Hi Guys:

I have a 77 7GCBC with 150hp 0-320-A2, it is a mogas motor which we usually run regular pump 87. I never thought of this until recently but alot of our Canadian pump gas is now 5% to 10% ethanol, wondering if there are any issues with this? I kind of like the idea of ethanol as it will remove water from the fuel.

I don't about the Canadian regs but in the US ethanol is not allowed and voids any and all auto gas STC's, I would never run the stuff in any of my aircraft engines. As for removing water I suggest studying the effects of phase seperation not good at all.

This is interesting. I sold a Cessna 150 about a year ago that went to Brazil. I was told the aircraft was going to be rebuilt, modified to run on 100% ethanol and used as a trainer for Ag pilots.

Ken

Hi Ken, one has to remember that Brazil has been using ethanol for many years and that the engine most likely will be modified to rum on straight ethanol. I I was referring to was the autogas STC issued herein the USA, they distinctively prohibit the use of autogas with any amount of ethanol. There is a STC to operate some planes/engine on straight ethanol here's a link:
http://www.age85.org/ActiveProjects.htm
One would be hard pressed to find this fuel on any regular bases and its interesting to note there has been no real up date of the web site for some time.

Back