Modern Cruisair Homebuilt

leadsledfan

Another neat tidbit from the Factory:
I was talking to Randy at Alexandria, and I mentioned the idea of Alexandra holding Workshops, focusing on either Wood Construction and Repair, or Bellanca Repair in General. Randy then mentioned that the factory has been kicking around the idea of a Bellanca Cruisair Homebuilt! The idea would be to offer a factory supported Cruisair Homebuilt, with a modern powerplant, panel, and gear.

Disclaimer: the Factory has been kicking around this idea for years, and likely it will never come to fruition, but I thought it was interesting. Their largest obstacle is the factory building themselves, which the city owns, and desperately need updating. At the time of our call, a storm had just knocked out a wall on the wood shop. Apparently gives them a nice view and breeze!

Anyways, the idea is to take the original Cruisair design, and then install an updated hydraulic gear system, a Modern Panel, and a Lycoming 4-Cylinder Powerplant. Essentially, all of the gripes and wants of the current Cruisair owners.
4-place homebuilts are few and far between, especially ones that can carry a decent load.
I think that a modern Cruisair with a 180-200HP Lycoming and C/S prop would easily carry 900-1000 pounds, and likely Cruise at 135-140 knots at a reasonable fuel burn.
There are some advantages to the construction of the Cruisair. The design is really quite simple, and with the factory offering support for the construction of the wood wings, seems like an awesome homebuilt!

I think that a 4 place tailwheel with a decent load, Bellanca Flying Qualities, and Nostalgia of the triple tail would be awesome as a homebuilt.

Probably just a dream at this point, but a cool dream none the less.

-Adam

OH, if I could magically turn my Cruisair into an experimental, I would do it in a heart beat. Experimental exhibition has too many limitations. Hand pump hydraulic gear (most of the parts are 14-19-2 parts anyway), Petton wheel covers (with improved hardware), aux wing tanks (half of the Viking aux tank set up) which would only require moving one rib about 2 inches, A Viking control yoke bow (much more room for a center stack, Viking adjustable seats, Station 1 of the fuselage from a 14-19 would allow room for dual brakes, Clevelands (of course), My choice would be a Franklin 220, but whatever cooling fan you would choose. OOPS, I just woke up and remembered we have an FAA. OH WELL, Grant.

Another thought that the factory probably would not be interested in would be a scaled down to light sport limits Mini Cruisair. It would have to have fixed gear, but Larry L has drawn some nice looking spats, or you could make them look just like our present gear and confuse everybody until you actually taxied close. I have no idea what the handling characteristics would be on a scaled-down Bellanca, but it would be fun. OOPs another crazy idea. Grant.

I really want a Cruisemaster with a radial engine, 2 entry doors and a bigger baggage door.
I bought a Yak-55 for aerobatics, and that M-14P engine has some serious GRUNT!
I know...why not get a Yak-18T, it looks like a Bellanca made in Russia...but it's slow, like 125 knots.
Surely Alexandria LLC could design better. I have one more homebuilt plane in me...?
A Cruisemaster fuselage is probably too small (top to bottom) for an M-14P, whose cowl outside diameter is about 40 inches. The width is about right. 8)
A Jacobs R-755 is 6 inches greater and 110 HP less, so it's out. :shock:

Back