Modernizing the Cruisair

Switch to Experimental.
Mount a good used O-360 on it (sell the frank and prop to offset cost)
slap on some clevelands
install a used 430W.

now you got a machine that's easy to live with, and will surprise the skylanes when you pass them :)

I have to reply to that one!
I was going to put an O360A1A into my Cruisair. I had a bunch of other peoples field approvals and 2 one time STC and the permission of each to use their data. When I approached the Portland (Hillsboro) FSDO, they sent me up to Engr in Seattle. They then told me I needed a DER to do the engr and I couldn't use the data I had as "approved data"!!! Went to a great DER in Portland, and we talked about it, and he told me that the cost could be SIGNIFICANT, I pretty quickly lost interest. I think at that time, Ozzie was selling his plane for $28K, so considering that the almost new O-360 that I had (135 hrs since new) was worth almost that much, and when I added in a CS prop, I couldn't justify the cost.
I know I could have rationalized the O360 installation costs away, but just couldn't bring myself to do it. Oh well -Sold the O360 and am still planning on putting in a 165...

Hence, the move to Experimental.

anyone looking to invest in a plane while trying to make sense of the money...

should buy a boat.

So how easy is it to get a certified plane classified as experimental and then what kind of limitations are likely to be given?
You're right about trying to justify it economically, but I just couldn't see putting all that money into it, and couldn't even see getting the cost of the engine back, let alone the airframe.
BTW-I heard all the usual stuff about boats not being economical too, like "wooden holes that you throw money into" and the 2 happiest days for boat owners are the day they buy it and the day they sell it. Having fed the fish and becoming an integral part of the food chain from Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin to San Diego, I'll stick to planes.

Larry, I hate to tell you, but if you are going to keep your plane, you better get used to working on it. That's what you have to do to a 65+ airplane. Add retracts, a "unique" engine, etc and it keeps going. Mine was practically a restoration when I got it, and I still spend time working on it. That is the way it is...it will be the same if you go back to a Luscombe, just a little less, but not much!
BTW, I went back to school when I turned 60 and got my A&P. It is never too late to learn! Family didn't suffer. I had a ball in school, and a happy me helped make the family happy (well, my kids were long gone, but Susan didn't suffer.) I turned 61 and the kid in class seated next to me turned 19, not sure who was really younger (mentally).

blimpy said:
Plane Doc.. you missed my sarcasm.

No I didn't :) I was only partially serious about the experimental thing. Although I did help a friend through the process when he put an O-470 in his -1 Stinson. He then added amphibious floats of his own design, an IFR panel and retired to Alaska where it takes him to one fishing site after another...

Ok.

Well, back in 72-73 when I learned to fly, I bought a Luscombe 8-A before I had flown a lick.
pretty much rebuilt the thing while I was learning to fly.

Wings were good, but most everything else came apart.

But, I had a friendly A&I A&P 100 feet away who was willing to supervise everything I did,
and found the important stuff I never would have.

Such is not the case this time around, and I am 67 (in march) not 25.

Hour each way to and from the plane, vs living on an "antique airport" as I did then,
makes all the difference.

I gotta pack it in.

Pass the torch to somebody else with more oomph, money, dedication than I have.

Oh well.

I have spent 2800 bucks in Jan... and expect to spend the same on the annual
and some small repairs in Feb.

My flying is costing something like $300 an hour- which might buy a pretty good call girl.

Either way I am getting.. you know. :mrgreen:

Back