more hydraulics

bobgoodman

another hydraulic leak problem. i have the old style manual pump with the rectangular cast reservoir. on top there is a fill plug that i think came with pipe thread fittings. there is a bushing in the hole with another pipe thread plug on top of that. the plug seeps hydraulic oil. its not bad, just a few drops, but i don't want any hydraulic leaks at all.

i don't know what kind of plug was in the hole originally, if the threads are just worn out from age, or if i need to put some pipe dope on there and let it go. i wish it had some kind of better seal, but it doesn't.

any guidance would be appreciated.

i would just try some pipe thread dope but it's hard to do anything with it without making another huge mess on the inside of the airplane.

on another note, the southeast region eaa fly-in is this weekend in evergreen alabama. it's a smallish affair usually, and i'll likely go over for a day. if anybody else from the forum will be there, let me know and i'll make a special effort. they are giving a chance of rain saturday, but friday and sunday look good. just let me know and i'll make an extra hard effort.

still lovin the cruisemaster, in spite of the fluid seep.

bobg

Hey Bob, try using Titeseal,Fuelube,or POB#4. Any one of these will seal your leak and not harden. Lynn the crate

Full agreement on Lynn’s answer.
Aircraft Spruce sells Fuelube as “EZ Turn” and it is great for stuff you will need to remove later. It is a really thick grease that seals up the threads, won’t wash off in gas, and it works wonders on hard to turn fuel shut off valves as well. The small tube is a lifetime supply.

Back