My crash

peterdeon

As some are aware I had a gear failure on landing at Columbia this past weekend. Cause-poor pilotage. Al Pontius indicates that he can rebuild the gear at reasonable cost. Robert Seale is willing to do all the other work. Wing damage is mostly a 18 inch section of leading edge, pitot tube 2 inch radius of skin, and minor scuffs. Would be surprised to find any other spar/rib damage. Probably a bit of flap work also. The tough part is minor damage to one blade of the hartzel "MV" prop (No AD) . The engine is 30 SMOH with new ECI pistons (would have to have case split for inspetion but would be very surprised if damaged). The radios include a Garmin 420 (like a 430 without VOR) and a King 197A. My thinking is that if I parted the plane out I would have more money in my pocket than if I paid to fix the plane and then sold it. (or if I parted it out and bought another one) I need guidance as to how to procede. I hate to see the death of a 14-19-2, but there is strong economic reasons to part it out. Another choice would be to put it up for sale as is/where is. (I can't do the work myself, but someone else could) I guess I am looking for thoughts on how you all would procede. Thoughts?

I'd have to take it apart, haul it to my hangar, and fix it myself under A&P supervision. If I made personal avaiation decisions based on economics I would not be a happy camper.

You have two capable, local craftsmen, willing to work on your airplane. Get it fixed............................Dan

Pete: If your heart isn't in it sell the plane as is. There is always the unexpected. Blue book value on these crates are minuscule. The wings and the gear are worth some money. The power pack is golden. I sure hate to see it go but if your not into it get rid of it. Some fool out there wants a -2 just like me. What was the N #. Life goes on. Lynn the crate :cry:

My N number is 9848B. Almost the same as yours and about the same color scheme. I've been tempted to use duct tape to make my plane have your N number and then post embarrassing pictures of the plane with neked women or transvestites or whatever just to put you on the spot.(I know more transexuals than young women willing to pose naked, so don't get too excited) I've been told that after an incident, many say "that's it,no more flying" but that thought wears off after a while. I can't sell the engine or the prop without fixing them, and by the time I've fixed the engine and prop, I have paid for 75% of the repair cost, so I might as well fix it and then who knows where I go from there. I've been flying since 1974. This was not my first "incident", but my first since 1982. All the other incidents were repaired, so why not fix this one (though it will be the most expensive repair.) My first Belanca cost $6500 to purchase. It cost about $2000 to fix it when I had a gear failure. (not even a hard landing that time!) Thanks everyone for your imput.

Pete, at my age if there is any money to be made for ME, post any picture you want! HA HA. I have pictures of 48B and to be quite honest, that color and original scheme was an insperation for the crate. The other was 05B same color and scheme. If I can be of any help ( I don't know of any transvestites) let me know. I will sure try to help you get back in the air. I also since reading your post took another very close look at my gear. There is always the unexpected. Lynn the crate :p

Lynn, your gear is probably fine-my gear just wasn't meant to take the sideload I gave it while overcorrecting. Barron's plane's gear did break due to overlooked cracks-that does happen.

Peter, if you decide to part it out and buy another, there is a gentleman who has been trying to sell me his 14-19 for $25,000. It has 33 hours SMOH, new prop, new fabric, etc. He sent his wings into the factory three or four years ago so they are in excellent condition. He lost his medical and is just trying to unload it. A year ago he was asking either $69,000 or $89,000, I don't recall which.
If you or anyone else is interested email me at garylbrink@yahoo.com and I'll give you the details.
Gary

Hello,
After going through the effort of a wing replacement, gear repair, belly fabric and new wood stringers myself to put a 14-13-2 back in the air, I would say, take your time, and put your bird back together as you can.You know your bird, no unknowns there, so you would be worlds better just putting your ship back together instead of looking for some other bird. Lord knows there are a whole lot of guys available who will help you. I had Bruce Barton here in the las vegas area who walked me through much of my work. Regarding your engine, you may be surprised as to how little damage is there, specially if you had little or no power on it at the time of gear collapse. As for tearing it down, that is really no big deal. Just takes time and a little supervision. Good luck, keep the faith, network with some of the EAA guys who can help with the wood and the engine exam at darn near zero cost. If I can help you, let me know, Ive got a Mccauly prop you can borrow until you have the funds for your own.

thanks for all the offers. Right now, time is not available to me. I worked a shift and a half today, and a shift and a half yesterday. Tomorrow, I work the late shift and my end time may be extended a few hours because the guy who is relieving me has been summoned to court (expert witness) and will not be on time. (negotiating with other partners to find someone to cover) After working until 11 last night and showing up at 8 am in the am, I can't think of fiddling with a plane. No one wants to work anymore and I have a passion for work that I need to fix. Anyhow, even after I fix it, I don't think I will find a buyer for the plane. No one wants to buy planes nowadays and for some reason (probably lack of familiarity) old Bellancas seem to be hard to unload. My wife wants me to sell the plane, and lack of buyers will keep me from fulfilling her wishes once I get the plane fixe. I doubt if I will find hidden damage, but I have heard tales of cranks that dialed out after sudden stoppage at idle speed that then failed in a catastrophic way 50 hours later and I could neither own nor sell a plane that was not done right. Thanks again everyone for all the advice. Peter

Peter, my sympathy is with ya! As you might remember, the starboard gear on my 13-2 retracted on landing last summer. I'm back flying the airplane and an like a wide-eyed child marveling at Giuseppe's genius. The incident made me get the metal prop overhauled. Now, the airplane climbs like an angel, cruises better, and, like always, flies slowly and takes off and lands short. I almost sold the airplane, but am so glad I didn't! Only a few other airplanes appeal to me: RV-3 and 4, Glastar, Coot, and maybe the Ercoupe!

Looks to me after reading this forum, I would get it fixed. You are very fortunate in having people who could do the work available to you. I know it costs money but worse case take what you can get and sell it as is with provision the buyer fixes it and does not part it out ie undercutting (screwing) you. I hate to see the death of another -2. Get er dun Larry the cable guy 8)

Back