my new headset

bobgoodman

i was reading in the fly baby forum how ron wantaja made an adapter to match 8 ohm ear buds with 300 ohm airplane radios. the transformer he used was from radio shack, which are hard to come by and out of production, but i got the specs on it and ordered several over the internet. it works great, a big success. i also made a mic holder out of a piece of 10 gauge romex and attached a mic to it. these things cost $600 bucks from spruce and are all the rage. mine is almost as good and made out of spare parts, except for $2.17 for the transformer. mary tried it on, and liked it. i used shrink wrap to kind of pretty it up and make it look better.

the weather here sucks so i didn't get to try it out in the air, but it works real good on the ground. my wife hates regular headsets because she wears glasses and so they leak and hurt her head. she also hates the way they clamp on your head from the top. everybody says these things are better than anr headsets. with good foam buds it is pretty quiet so far as i can tell.

it took all of 30 minutes to make one. i put the micro transformer in an old 35mm film cannister, but i might pop for some casting epoxy when i make the real production run. i don't know, might be too much trouble. the mic i used is a piece of junk, but you can buy a good noise cancelling replacement mic from spruce for $20 if you are a high roller. you can use any earbuds you like i guess. i found the ones i used in the parking lot of the sportsplex where i work part time. they are pink but i really don't care. wal mart has plenty to choose from if i decide on changing. you can buy noise cancelling ones for another 20 bucks.

it was a good airplane day even if the wheels didn't even get off the ground.

i'll give you all a final report after i fly with it.

bobg

this was the inspiration: https://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages/av/headsets_clarityaloft/clarity.php

here's the mic i was talking about from spruce: https://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages/av/microphone_0browse/avnamic.php

Good Info. Thanks Bob for putting that out. Lynn the crate The WX here iffy most of the time.

Back