N9842B flying again

planebones

I am happy to announce that 14-19-2 Cruismaster N9842B is flying again as of last week up in Big Piney WY. It has been down for 1.8 years. I have been able to get 5 hours on it. I thought 1300hrs of tailwheel time and being a Mooney guy would prepare me for this beast but .....no....I am still in the learning curve. The low flap speed, high sink rate and nose high landing position still has me working hard. She flys level hands off but with 1/3 ball to the right....If anyone has any rigging ideas for that let me know. I appreciate youze guys!.

Check the alignment of the elephant ears. Adjust the rudder spring on copilots side. My thoughts. Press on Lynn the crate

ha. what is that? 3 in the past 6 months? at this rate there will be more cruisemasters flying than rv''s. unless my logic is faulty. i love this plane. i got to fly it today, and i love the way it handles and the power it has. and the continental is so smooth. i like it a lot better than a bonanza or a viking. the only thing that could make it better would be about 70 more horses. but that would mean more gas.

you are right, slow taildragger time is not all that beneficial, but at least once it's on the ground it's a pussycat. in one respect it's kind of like landing a mooney (c,e,f,g): speed control and sink rate management make good landings. slow down and carry power. it likes to 3 point but i like wheel landings so that's what i mostly use. the gear lets you feel for the runway gently because there is no resistance for the first 3 inches on the struts. another impression is that i use more differential braking to steer on rollout. maybe it's my imagination but it may be because the tail is so light the tailwheel is not helping you much.

just my opinion, i'm still a low time cruisemaster pilot myself. i'm about to have 50 hours on it since july. i know because it's time to change the oil.

bobg

Back