Need Help finding Brake Parts

bookmaker

My 1965 Citabria has Goodrich disc brakes. I need to find some parts and am running into a brick wall.

According to the Champion drawing 7-1176, the wheel and brake assemblies are 3-1086 and 2-883 respectively.

The specific part I currently need is a 259-13 KEY.

If anyone knows who might carry parts for these GOODRICH (not Goodyear) brakes, please point me in that direction. I've tried American Champion, Univair and several other usual outlets. I've even contacted the current conglomerate that owns BF Goodrich. They are trying to find a source.

Thanks.

Dale

This won't help you. But I have a 1965 Citabria with O-200 that has drum heel brakes. I'm trying to identify them. Are your brakes stock?

Yes, they are stock.

The two types that came on the 65 are easy to identify. The Clevelands look normal with a rotor fixed to the wheel. The Goodrich have a large Drum type casting on the back side where a floating rotor rests in 6 notches with an L shaped plate, 2 keys, 2 screws and washers and safety wire holding each of 6 tabs on the outer edge of the rotor.

Most of the Citabrias that year came with Clevelands. When I can find someone parting out a Citabria with the Clevelands, mine will too. The Goodrich brakes are too complicated and almost no parts are available.

Here are a couple of photos. The keys, L springs etc are removed.View attachment 1

So my brakes must be Cleveland...
They are marginal. I can hold a run up to about 1500 rpm and that is all.

Are my master cylinders also Cleveland? They are bolted to the bottom of the floor boards. The floor boards are bending and have cracked due to all the pressure being put on the brakes.

What is the proper procedure to bleed these? There's no nipple on the bleed screw that is normally used to pump brake fluid in from the bottom. All I can do is add fluid at the cylinder, crack the screw and pump fluid out at the bottom. I'm not sure this is effective at removing air.

I assume you have Cleveland master cylinders. That's what the parts manual for the 1965 says. As for the bleeding procedure, I would have to look in the maintenance manual for later models. I think the Cleveland brakes are the same for several years.

Interesting that you have marginal brakes. My Goodriches will hold it at full throttle.
I have heel brake pedals also, but no floor issues. Your master cylinders SHOULD be bolted to the framework under the floorboard, not the boards themselves.

It might be good to check your brake system over from end to end. I suspect there is a problem somewhere.

Dale

Looking at your photo, I wonder if you have had a conversion done. According to my parts manual, the master cylinders are farther back and definitely attached to the framework.

On closer look, I don't think you have the normal Cleveland brake system. Not sure what you have.

Dale

I just bought the plane this spring and am new to Champ/Citabrias. She's 48 years old so a lot of time for others to have made modifications. I'll take a look in from the bottom and see what going on but from what I can tell these master cylinders were meant to bolt though the phywood floor which is a poor design.

Robert, you can buy a Parts Manual covering the 1965 from Univair. If you don't have one, I recommend you purchase one. They are not expensive. It has exploded views of most systems on the plane.

I agree about a lot can be modified over the age of our planes.

Dale

I don't have it. I'm concerned about it being accurate. I have a manual that came from the new American Champion in Rochester that is supposed to be for the first Citabrias "Effective Serial Numbers -75 and Up." Mine is s/n 91 and tons of things are wrong in the manual. I guess it would suffice for a ramp check. Here's what I've noticed wrong:

O-235-C1 rather than the O-200A that I have. (Oil pressure wrong, etc..)
Alternator rather than the generator I have.
Starter button and solenoid versus the pull start I have.
Trim on left side of the cabin versus on the ceiling like Champ like mine is.
Parking Brake. Mine has no parking brake.
Two float type fuel Gauages. Mine has One.
Stall warning horn. Mine does not have one.
Brake Fluid Reservor on aft side of firewall. Mine does not have one.

Robert, sounds like you are talking about an operator's manual. There isn't one for the 65 model. I have a couple for later versions, and as noted, neither covers the 0-200.

The parts manual is a very good book to have and it has drawings and parts lists of almost every assembly in the plane. And the one for the early Citabrias covers the 0-200, but not the BF Goodrich brakes. :evil: It even has a little bit about the oleo struts.

This club sells a repair manual for the later Citabrias with an addendum for the oloes, but nothing on the 0-200.

My friend who has a 74 7ECA and I call mine the "Missing Link" between the Champs and the "real" Citabrias 8)

Dale

Back to my original quandry, I have not been able to find a source for parts for the BF Goodrich brakes. I also have had no luck in finding used Cleveland brakes and wheels for the Citabria.

If anyone knows of a source, or hears of a Citabria being parted out, that might help.

Dale

I don't know if the Oleo Clevelands would be the same as the ones for the spring gear, but I have the Clevelands I took off my '70 to put on the double-puck big-tire wheels. They need some parts, but it's a starting point. To buy that set (Wheels/brakes) new from Skygeek would be almost $4000, that is why I bought the upgrade kit. The wheels/brakes I have need at least $800 of parts to make them airworthy.

Back