New Guy

Welcome! I'm new around here myself, as well as new to plane ownership. Good info and a great group here.

Nice sleek machine Joe
You will find this place very helpful. I did! And still do!

Wecome!

Alain

Hey there, Joe!

Sweet machine you have there. It has more in common with a Viking, but the Viking forum has around 170 messages, we are a chatty lot (over 3900 messages last time I looked) and our aircraft have much in common.

I've always been curious about those single tail 260s (-3A?), wondering if their lighter weight made them as fast as the 300hp Vikings, without the gas thirst. If you don't mind my asking, what's her typical cruise speed - the speed you tend to flight plan for, rather than the let-see-how-fast-this-baby-will-go speed - and stall speed? How long have you owned her?

Jonathan

I'm right around 150kts TAS @ 6500 feet 12.5 gph. I have a friend with a 1967 17-30. Soon we are going to go door to door and see what happens at the same altitude and power settings. The IO-520 is really only 285hp for normal operations, but its a heavier airplane, we shall see.

Aviation Consumer has good, accurate used aircraft reports, and their Viking review says most Vikings average are 160kt. airplanes. Your 150kts is plenty of knots...lotsa knots, and 25 bucks per hour cheaper than 160kts. Not bad :)

Jonathan

Hi there..............I am new to this forum as well. I own a 79 viking hangered at Plainview, Tx. Seems there is little response in the "Viking Forum".....so I thought I would say hello to you guys as well!

My favorite Viking site is Frank Holbert's http://www.160knots.com, and I think you may find links to other Viking sites from there, including an email list you can subscribe to.

I'm no fan of email lists, having endured two in the past. For me, the signal to noise ratio is too high compared to a forum where topics are organized and you can pick and choose what you read. Frank's site, however, features many, many high quality videos of trips he's taken in his Viking over some nice west coast scenery. As with all flying trips, some are more interesting than others. Some are IFR trips, whereas others (his Jan '08 trip to Big Bear: Snow Day) are spectacular and serene. The sound tracks are not for all audiences - easy listening genre - and one (an awkward canyon run) is dominated by a TAWS that won't shut the heck up (many don't have a STFU switch) but this is amateur video, and some of the finest you'll find. He also has photos taken at the most recent Bellanca Columbia fly-in that shows most all the aircraft present, not just Vikings.

Jonathan

Back