New owner Decathlon and problem getting spinner

kpin

I am the new owner of a 1973 8KCAB. This aircraft was modified from the constant pitch prop to a fixed pitch. The 8KCAB was at one time fir with a constant speed. The engine and prop configuration is the same as that on a 7GCAA. I have ordered the spinner and bulkhead parts three times. Each time the spinner screw holes do not line up. American Champion is working with me but so far they have not been successful. I can only believe the quality control at ACA is questionalble. I have been lead to believe some of their tool is old. I can not help but wonder if that might be adding to the problem. I have no doubts that the problem will eventually be solved, but I can not help but question how are the fitting these parts on their new aircraft. (The combination is still being used) Do they elongate the spinned holes at assembly or are they simply trying parts until they match? If QC is an issue, what are the new aircraft like quality wise? Maybe there is something I have missed. Has anyone else experienced this type of problem with ACA parts?

I never ordered a spinner from ACA, but everything else I order was well made, fit fine, and the service was quick and friendly.

Bill

Ditto here. I have been buying from ACA since 1989 with no problems. In fact, I am always surprised how reasonable they are. (Now don't go changing things :lol: )

I think you are dealing with a special situation; that Decathlon combination has not been produced since the 1970s and based on similar complaints, a great deal of unauthorized modifications make fitting parts difficult. Talk to them - they have always listened to my problems.

I had the same problem. I converted my 8KCAB from CS prop to fixed pitch. I ordered the bulkhead and spinner from ACA, and found that the screw holes did not line up. If I remember correctly, I think I rotated the bulkhead 1 prop bolt hole, put the spinner on and marked the bulkhead through the spinner holes, then took it apart and drilled new holes in the bulkhead where I had marked, and moved the nut plates to the new location. Then all the spinner holes lined up with the nut plates, with no elongated holes. This was about 2002.
Bill Becker

Spinners are a PITA.
For a while we used to demand that you order the spinner and both bulkheads, or we cant garuntee fit. I don't know if/when that policy changed.
Spinners are a pita on new planes too, and you have everything in front of you.

Not really a helpful post, so much as a warning that spinners are never a smooth transaction. Things can work out in the end, but its usually not cake.

Thanks for all of the information. I am especially pleased to see many of you have experienced excellent customer service from ACA. I will say everyone at ACA has been fantastic in trying to solve the problem. I did order them as a set as a matter of fact I have ordered two set, both bulkheads and spinner. I am waiting for the third. This time they are going to mount the parts on an aircraft in house.

The modification was not out of the ordinary. The prop and engine combination is the same used on the 7GCAA so this should not be a major problem. I also receintly asked for a quote on the front wing fairing. Since this was my fist dealings with ACA I am a little gub shy. I suspect everything will go fine.

Thanks again,

Ken

Up date!

I received the bulkheads and spinner some time ago and everything fit perfectly.

Thanks everyone at ACA.

Back