New Side Window

Ralph925

I need to replace the pilots side window on my 14-19-2. It is cracked and getting beyond usable. There is a small fold down window inset into the side window. Was that there originally or was it some other arrangement?
What should I use to glue the new window into the frame? It looks like mounting tape now.
Ralph

Somewhat related question: does anyone know when they switched from the smokers style window to the small 6 inch window?

The Cruisairs came with the slide down pilot window. I parted out an early 14-19 and it had the front 6 inches of the pilot window that hinged open. I am not sure about the 14-19-2. Ralph, The opening part had the hinge running up and down the front of the window. Hanger 9 has a lot of photos and I suspect it will show the windows. Let me know if you need the frame and hinge. I think I still have one laying around. Grant.

Thanks Grant,
I thought I had seen a -2 with the 6 vertical strip window and not the small window.
What I wouldn't give for my old cruisair slide down window on a hot California day..

Grant,
I would like to see the photos, but I am not familiar with “Hanger 9”. My quick search didn’t find it.
I would consider putting the original parts back in, do you have a photo of your frame and hinge?
Ralph

I will try to take a photo today. Hanger nine is a popular aviation web site, and the owner has many planes including a Cruismaster. I dont have the exact web address right now. I will look later. Grant.

Ralph, I put a Super Viking style side window in my -2. You can make it out of a piece of .125 plexiglass or Lexan. Install it with 3M strip caulk. Easy job to do just cut it with a band saw and the insert with a saber saw. Looks like Piper Cherokee. Strip caulk is easy to use and makes a great seal. I changed them all in 2008 and have never had any problems. Knock on wood yeah that's a pun Lynn

It has been my observation that the all the 14-19 and first half production of the 14-19-2 had the vertically hinged "wing window." Ralph, as I recall, your airplane is '06B, which is in the last half of production.
Dan

Ralph, I found it and took some photos. It is the type (Wing Window) that Dan described. I still havent figured out how to post on this site, but if you shoot me your email I will send them direct. <gjordan14132@yahoo.com> . I agree that the Cruisair slide down window was the best on a hot day. Grant.

Back