new to me 7eca

swixtt

hi ... i'm new here and have just purchased my very own plane. a 115hp 7eca.

my probably first of many questions is to do with engine temps. what can i make, buy to increase the engine temps? it is usually -5c to -10c when i'm out there flying and need to get the temps up a bit.

any info would be great.

Hi congrats on the purchase of your plane they are a nice plane. If your plane is equipped with an oil cooler you can make a cover plate or use duck tape and block off the oil cooler, you can make some plates to cover about 1/3 of the cowl bug eye openings cover the inner part of the opening. Here's a link to a fellows Aeronca tips while its a different airplane there are things in common http://home.comcast.net/~petegavin/Aeronca_Stuff/
Hope this helps with some ideas for you and enjoy your plane.

Be aware that blocking off the air intake is illegal and dangerous. Anything that flies off the material used will go directly to the carburetor, making for a less than great day. We have a member that is attempting to get an STC for the Citabria, and doing considerable engineering for a safe installation, possibly in-flight adjustable. Stay tuned.

thanks for the replies!

i wasn't thinking of blocking the air intake... aren't there any baffles to reduce the air over the cyl?

I have also seen guys put a blocking plate on the air EXIT. This limits the amout of airspeed thus helping to get temps up. I am not sure if this is legal or not but then where I live I doubt anyone would say much. This would be better than worrying about it falling off and into the engine/prop wsh.
WW

thanks.... i really need to figure something out.... maybe it won't happen right away but you never know.

I put the plate on the back of my oil cooler and the temps did not go up much. I then added a piece of aviation grade aluminum tape to the front of the cooler and the temps went up to 180 on a 25 degree day. The plate does not stop all of the air going through the cooler, tape in front does.

Jeff
New Hampshire

Back