New Wing time!

walter calloway

Ok, I'm about ready to fabric/paint my new wing for N1251R (260C), and begin the installation process. Simply looking for any "heads up" comments before I begin the installation. The manual only says so much...seems waaay too simple! Stripping down and removing the old damaged wing was simple enough, and my AI and A&P buddies are giving me the thumbs up....hmmm. Just what am I in for here?! LOL :shock:

Years ago, I stopped at Ray Stit's tent at Oshkosh and asked him about applying fabric on wood. At the time, he was working on a wooden horizontal stabilizer (from a Corsair, as I recall), so he showed me!!

Basically, you want to get a good layer or two of PolyBrush (or Nitrate if you are using Randolf) on the wing and let them dry. Then cover the wing with fabric and dab heavily thinned PolyBrush (or Nitrate) into the fabric. The idea is to have the thinned dope flow through the fabric and make a dope sandwich around the fabric. This causes better adhesion between the wood and the fabric.

After that, follow standard finishing procedures - brush an additional coat of dope, then go to the spray.

Good luck.

Dave York

Thanks! In fact, this afternoon I will be applying the fabric. First coat went on yesterday and should be dry by this afternoon. I am so jazzed that my bird should be ready for its annual inspect by the end of the month! I am sooooo ready to take it up and punch holes in the sky!!!! :D

Back