Nose bowl question

Gary Brink

When I bought my 14-13-2, it had an Aeromatic prop with a long bolt in the center of it that protruded through the nose bowl with a nut on the end of it. I sent the prop to Kent where the hub was rebuilt and the blades replaced, but it came back with a short bolt in the hub and the original long one was in the box. Did Bellanca ever put out a 14-13-2 with a nut on the outside of the nose bowl or is this some type of "Rube Goldberg" fix? Also, I find that I have four of the short wing attach bolts but only three of the longer ones. Does anyone have an extra wing attach bolt for this bird?
Gary

Gary, if your prop is a standard F200, the spinner support rod is aluminum and shaped like an exhaust valve. At the end it is turned down to the size of the hole in the spinner and has a small steel sleeve over the part that goes into the hole. The end is not threaded. The wide end attaches to the prop in place of the round plate on the front of the hub(about 1.5 inches with 6 holes) that the static adjustment shims are under. If you have an F200H High Cruise Aeromatic then a bolt is probably the only solution, but they still dont have a nut on the end. Let me know if yours is a High Cruise, and I will post a photo of what I have for a spinner support. It is a very nice aluminum casting that bolts to the hydraulic cylinder on the front of the prop. I showed it to Kent a few years ago and he had never seen one like it. I think it is an original for the High Cruise, since it is so professionally done. I just looked through several Aeromatic books and they dont show any spinner supports since they were most likely made by the spinner company rather than by Koppers. ____Grant.

I have a factory drawing of the spinner with the support Grant talks about. When I had my Aeromatic, my spinner cracked and I was looking at getting it replaced. At the time, it wasn't worth doing on a one off project. I had it welded up, and it worked until I sold it. I told the buyer about it, so they could keep an eye on it. Anyway, if you need info on the spinner, I could dig out the drawing.
Larry

Darn...the things that I forget after three years. My Aeromatic is a standard 200 and there are NO threads on the end of the rod. It appears that I also don't have the small steel sleeve but the rod is exactly what you described. It shouldn't be too diffcult to make the sleeve. On another subject, wings and control panels are covered and ready for the paint shop and I'm about to cover the rest of the bird. After reading about access to the adjustments in the tail, I asked Jerry Sather if he would set mine up and he suggested that I build an aluminum pan under the tail just like the early 14-19. I did make one and it looks like it will work just fine. They tell me that it will give me accessibility to that area and make the annual inspections easier.
Gary

Gary, The Al pan under the tail is just what I have been looking for. How are you going to secure it to the fuselage? Do you have any sketches or photos or ? Thanks! Larry

Larry, I'll be in S. Dakota until Thursday but will make photos and a template for you when I get back. Email your address to me at garylbrink@yahoo.com.
Gary

Gary, make sure that when you slide the trim tab cable into the shaft that runs from the cockpit , to put anti seize compound on it. That is what caused me to cut into my fabric for access._____I just walked out to my barn and checked a spinner support rod and it looks like aluminum, but it must be steel since a magnet stuck to it. I thought that I had better do a memory check. I hope Larry finds the correct drawing. I would like a copy. ___Grant.

Hi Guys,
On my aeromatic prop I have the spinner centre support just as Grant described but mine has a threaded stud at the end and a half inch nut fits on it. Inside the spinner is a round aluminium support, which has been turned up and riveted in place. The centre support from prop fits through it. I bought the spinner from the club about 15 years ago. I riveted re-enforcement aluminium doublers around the cut outs for the blades as I was warned it could crack there. 300 plus hours still as good as new. Can post photos if it would help.

Spring coming at last!! Back to the shed.

Bernie

Hi Folks! I got curious about my memory and looked over several supports. I found that one of them was steel, one was aluminum ,with a steel insert threaded into the end,but the part that goes into the spinner was smooth, and one was aluminum with a steel sleeve over the end that goes into the spinner. On my spinner the plate that is rivited on the nose is steel. ALL of this looked like aluminum to me so I took a magnet and checked it all. The support that is all steel looks just like the aluminum ones. Larry L is looking for the factory drawing so maybe we can figure out the correct one. Another great mystery of the Bellanca set. ____Grant.

I emailed Larry photos and a description of the "tail pan" that I made for my 14-13. (All of you guys with Cruisemasters already ahve one.) If anyone else wants one just email me at garylbrink@yahoo.com.
Gary

I found the spinner drawing. (Bellanca Aircraft Corp. drawing no. 9954. it is a C size drawing) It calls out the center spindle that attaches to the front of the Aeromatic and protrude though the front of the spinner. Unfortunately it only shows the part w/o dimensions. The call out is for a "Spinner Support", part no. 9983. I would guess that the details are on another drawing. I got this drawing (9954) from Airdance, when Larry D owned the club. Maybe Robert might have a copy of the drawing that contains the support? Robert???

There is a reinforcing piece at the nose of the spinner that the support goes thru. It IS detailed on the drawing.
At one time, I was going to look into having spinners made, but the club also talked about it, so I didn't want to compete. I don't have an Aeromatic anymore, so you Aeromatic dudes want to look into getting them made?

Larry, my center spindle is aluminum with a steel tip on the end. I put it through the hole in the nose bowl and it was snug so I think it is all I need. Incidently, it doesn't have a second steel spacer on the end but rather has been built to just fit in the hole.
They say each airplane was hand made so they obviously used different techniques/parts to obtain the same objective.
Gary

Hi Folks, I just noticed an Aeromatic spinner for sale on Barnstormers which has a very different support. The add says original but it doesnt look like anything I have seen for an Aeromatic. It is a center bulkhead that screws to the front of the hub and attaches to the dome about mid point. Just another variation in old airplane land! ____Grant.

The drawing for the "centering" pin or support is 9983. Send me a dollar and your address and I will send it return mail as it is an 8 1/2 by 11 drawing.

Cy Galley; Editor - BC-Contact!
Supporting Bellancas every day
http://www.bellanca-championclub.com
3318 26th Avenue
Rock Island, IL 61201
309-738-0522

From memory, my spinner support for the F200H is an AN bolt with the hex head removed, or possibly an al rod threaded on one end. It threads into the front face of the hydraulic unit and serves as the low pitch adjustment stop. An AN stop nut jams it in place. Since pressure can follow the spiral of the threads, I am not sure how this is addressed to reduce the possibility of leakage. I'll give it another look when I am at the hangar.
ron

Thanks Ron. There should be no oil in front of the piston, it's all supposed to be behind the two o rings that serve as piston rings. How do you turn the headless bolt? Machine two flats on the bolt body?

I was looking at the larger adjuster, looks like it is made of Al with 1.75"-20 tpi or maybe 24tpi thread, perhaps making a hollow al pipe with that internal thread and cutting it to exact length and bevel so it supports the spinner nose. Problem I see is there are maybe 4 threads exposed and that may not be enough. And it would need a set screw to stop it coming unscrewed.

Back