Nose Bowl

gzlf3p

I would like to remove the nose bowl without removing the prop.
Is there any information about splitting the nose bowl.

The reason I would like to split a nose bowl is to get work done under it(the nose bowl) with out removing the prop. If the nose bowl could taken apart work on the front of the engine would be a lot easer.

Three Pee. Check Russell Williams Vintage Aircraft Site for lots of pictures of split nose bowls. To me the split lines just don't line up right with the cowl hinges. Not hard to pull the prop but I have the much prefered McCauley. In my search the plates were glued with West System Epoxy and the ends have floating nut plates. I opted to keep the one piece cowl and pull the prop. It has been off the crate 4 times so far with not any trouble. Lynn N9818B :roll:

Three Papa:

I've never seen a split cowl on a 14-19, though as Lynn noted, there are split cowl photos for the 14-19-2 on Russell Williams Vintage Aircraft web site. Here's a worthy one:

http://www.russellw.com/photoalbum/photo_drilldown.asp?ID=1212&qManufacturer=eBellanca&qModel=c14%2D19&LayoutStyle=LightTable&StartRecord=48

I'd look up the owner to see if he has a 337 for the work. You can also order complete records based on N number from the feds. Don't be surprised if there is no paperwork at all, as older Bellancas and Navions lead the league in undocumented mods :wink:

I can well understand your desire for this. Removing those old HC 12x20 props is not a trivial task.

Jonathan

BTW, this photo represents a worst case scenario along the lines Lynn mentioned. The stripes just don't work here:

http://www.russellw.com/photoalbum/photo_drilldown.asp?ID=1215&qManufacturer=eBellanca&qModel=c14%2D19&LayoutStyle=LightTable&StartRecord=48

Jonathan

Thank you Lynn and Jonathan for your suggestions. I did go to the Russell Williams web site. I looked through the photos and found five Cruesemasters with split nose bowls. As Jonathan said on both issues the models were all 14-19-2’s and there isn’t any 337’s for the five airplanes I ordered the FAA records for.

My airplane is a 14-19 or 190 horsepower and because I cannot find any 337’s for that mod, I guess my IA and I will have to be pioneers on the split nose project. The prospect of the field approval may make the IA, Nick and Joe, change their minds about the split nose bowl.

Any help and advice anybody can give will be appreciated.

Three Pee , Take the pictures from Russell's web site to your favorite Faa Inspector and ask for Field Approval on your bird. It has been done in the past and I see no reason why he/she won't give you the go ahead for your 14-19. The other option is just do it. Since there is NO manual parts or service and very little documentation from Bellanca showing anything of any value, you can do as the -2 boys did. :twisted: Lynn N9818B the crate

Back