O-435-A Crankshaft

crumast

If anybody happens to have a crank for an O-435-A, p/n 65356, that they're not using- let me know. I put a "wanted" in Barnstormers. The one I have has been rejected for pitting, located where the shop says they can't grind. Dan Cullman and I have been talking about the military O-435's, but a third party says the cranks from the -1 and -11 won't work. Help! Tom Robinson

In looking through my old note book for some other info, I ran across Bruce Bartons phone number, and my notes from talking to him a few years ago. I wrote that he had lots of 0-435 parts. He has been a long time member of our club, and a fun guy to talk to. Give him a try. 702-260-3308, or 702-596-6860. Tell him I said Hi! ________Grant.

Thanks for the lead. I just got off the phone with Bruce, and unfortunately he has only the military version cranks( 3 of them.) Tom

I just noticed on Barnstormers a fellow with what seems like a lot of 0-435 parts. Search Bellanca, and go to parts. He is advertising a lot. Good Luck. ______Grant.

I think you might be referring to David Stewart's listings. I've already spoken with him more than once. He said he had a crank, but already sold it not that long ago. Such is life. Tom Robinson

Took my red-tagged crankshaft to a second shop. They say the corrosion isn't an issue, where it is located. It's not on a load bearing area of the crank. It may be polished a little, but it will never be pretty. It will all be nitrided, and according to them, the corroded area will be every bit as hard as the rest. Once the engine is assembled, it isn't going to show anyway. Aircraft Specialties and Services in Tulsa is the shop which red-tagged it, and Aircraft Engine & Accessories Co. in Dallas is the shop which isn't worried about it. Both good shops with differing approaches. Pretty vs. practical. It does pay to get a second opinion, right Dan? Other issues may crop up, between now and a yellow tag, but at least I have a crankshaft. Tom Robinson

Well, I just had the rug pulled out from under me. The second shop, after some polishing, decided they couldn't certify the crank either, because of the same corrosion. It would have been nice if they had conducted this conversation before giving me the word that it would be okay. I'm back to the search. Tom Robinson

Tom, there is one other possibility , if you can locate him. I used to deal with a fellow named Barry Taylor. We swapped, bought, sold , Franklin parts. He also liked the 0-435s, and I sold him one from a 14-19. I lost track of him about 10 years ago when he moved to Texas. He followed the auctions, and was always buying. I dont know how to do a modern internet search, but I understand that people can be located easily. I think he was friends with Sherman Oxford (another old time Bellanca guy). Sherman might have parts since he used to own a 14-19. I think I can find Shermans number if you need it. You might also join the Stinson Yahoo group and advertise, since many Stinsons ran 0-435s. Good Luck. ______Grant.

Thanks for the tip. I know Sherman, and in fact , spoke with him yesterday. Maybe I'll ask him about Barry. Both, Dan Cullman and Sherman, have notified me of the guy on Barnstormers with the 14-19 project, with the spare O-435-A for $3500. I've spoken with him, and it looks like we may swing the deal for the spare engine. It's a pig-in-a-poke, but I can't pass up anything at this point. Thanks again, Tom

Looks like this marathon will have a happy ending. Sherman Oxford gave me the name of a guy in New Mexico, who has a 14-19 project. Turned out he was willing to sell the engine alone, which hadn't run since 1963. No logs, and pretty rough looking. But, I bought it.

I pulled it apart, and gave the crank and camshaft to AEA in Dallas. Now, they're good to go. I just have to pay the bill.

The guy in N.M. is Steve Kimbal, and he'd like to sell the rest of the project. Wings are damaged. Probably, the original interior from Bellanca.

Thanks to those who provided leads. It may seem obvious, but don't ever pull one of these engines apart unless your IA has a loaded gun aimed at your head. Tom Robinson

Back