O-470 Oil Consumption

JackFulford

Hi All,
With 50-60 hours since overhaul I am currently consuming 1qt/3hours. What should be considered "normal"? My previous experience was with a Franklin 165 so I don't really have a good point of reference for the O-470. Points that may help include:
1) 14-19-2
2) Chromed cylinders
3) Generally fly at 23x23 power setting
4) No leaks seen
5) Finger in the exhaust stack comes back a little sooty but not oily.
6) No smoke from exhaust

Hello Jack,
A quart oil every three hours is typical of the O-470 in my 14-19-2 as well. Gotta love the OPEC engines!

Jack, chromed cylinders are the problem. They are tough to break in properly. I have nickel on the crate it uses 1/2 qt every 25 hours. That is typical of nickel as we have done 5 engines with this and they use no oil. I still call it OPEC at 14 gal an hr!! Lynn the crate :(

Chrome isn't a problem. I have chrome on both of my engines, both broke in just fine.
55B had chrome too.. it was fine.
if there's any problem, its in lack of knowledge on how to break-in a new engine but lack of knowledge is a problem everywhere :)

Jack, at this point, check your compression. Be sure to you the proper technique - it's amazing to me to see how often it's done wrong, even by the pros.
Here's a good guide, from Continental: http://www.tcmlink.com/pdf2/SB03-3.pdf

I've heard folks say they've had chrome engines take over 50 hours to break in. I also know of at least one case where an engine was assembled with the wrong rings. Recently I had a client with a Lance that had one cylinder fail for low compression after 150hrs - again wrong rings so, check your compression and go from there. Ring material for chrome cylinders is different than for steel...

If your compression is good, you might just have to fly a little more and see. Make your engine work. High pressure and rich. don't baby it, just don't let it get too hot.

the chrome engine in my -3 took about 16 hrs - 8 of them cruising at 10,000 ft, full throttle and rich while flying from 52F to my home in Joshua Tree, CA. great way to break-in an engine :)

Back