Oil and temps for 165

kgassert

I have been using AeroShell 100 in my Franklin 165. Is anyone using 100plus? Are the additives in it a good or bad thing for this engine? Also I see in the manual 520 degrees for max CHT using the spark plus sensor. What would be the max CHT using the screw in probes and what would be max EGT?

Thanks,
Kevin

Hi Kevin,
The engine type certificate states that the "well type head thermocouple" limit is 445 deg F. There is no EGT limit. When I talked to Aerospace Logic about how they set their limits on their EGT for Franklins, they told me they set it as follows:
Low Limit - 1250
Normal 1430-1489
Warning 1575
High 1625
All in deg F.
As you know, egt are really of value when you look at them as relative numbers. If one is exceptionally high or low, it can be indicative of a problem. I generally see about a 75-100 deg spread in mine.
Interestingly I find that when I use multipoint EGT to lean on a carburated engine, I will see a rpm drop before I see any one cylinder egt drop. I have seen this in Franklins, Lycomings and Continentals. I'd be interested in others observations. I would guess it is partially due to the nature of carb'd engines vs FI? Because of this, I lean by RPM/and my butt,( ok, my ear too...maybe that is why I get comments about not knowing the difference?) more than by EGT. I use egt to richen after I see the RPM drop. Also use it for trouble shooting, and general engine operation.
Larry

Larry,

Thanks, come to think of it the TCDS for the Franklin is one document I don't have.

Anyone have any thoughts on the oil?

Kevin

The plus has some kind of additives for anti wear and anti corrosion. I have been using straight 100 wt because Greg told me not to use multi weight.

Kevin

The 100W plus is good stuff but you may use a little more oil, all of the engines I have torn down that used multi vis had big problems. The multi has small pieces of plastic that resemble a pigs tail. The pieces expand and contract to keep the oil at the viscosity needed. The problem is they get sheared very similarly like the oil molecules do. Then you have 20 weight oil all the time.

Back