Oil Cooler Air Intake

scottj33gm

In the Bellanca 14-13-2 parts manual there is a part number for the oil cooler air intake box, P/N 9934.10. There is also a part number for the rubber molding that butts up against the oil cooler to form the seal between the cooler and the air intake box, P/N 9934-51. Before going down the path of having one fabricated and getting a field approval, anyone know where I can get both parts? Mine has seen multiple repairs from different owners/A&P's over the years that are questionable. I reached out to Alexandria Aircraft earlier this week and they responded with have no parts or documentation earlier than 1957 on any Bellanca, and certainly nothing for 14-13-2. That was surprise since two annuals ago I ordered the STC'ed rudder bellcranks from them. Maybe becasue it was an STC they had some inventory remaining.

Thanks.

Scott

Scott,
The only parts that you can get from Alexandria that will work on the 14-13 series are the ones common with the 14-19 series.
Take the airbox you have, take a good look at the photo in the manual and build one that works and fits.
This is not "rocket science." I have these parts and have LOANED them out for duplication several times to folks that had no part. You have the part. It may be butchered up...but it is a pattern. It was welded at the factory and you can build it that way or rivet it together. DO IT.
If you love paperwork.... go ahead and get your 337. Do a good job on the project and I'll bet your mechanic will consider a logbook entry as a repair. There are no Cruisair parts warehouses like Pep Boys or Autozone.
This is an obsolete airframe and engine. You must be willing to fabricate these parts. They must be as good as original and built under supervision.
I think you are at the same location as Kent Tarver. If you talk with him, I'll bet you'll get the same answer.
Good Luck.
Dan

Dan,

Thank you for your reply. My post was to inquire amounst club members to see if anyone had a lead on both parts before going down the path of having one fabricated and getting a field approval. Why re-create the wheel if the wheel is only a single post away. I understand that parts availability are very limited for my 67 year old bird, and I'm not going to get what I need at Pep Boys or ever Aircraft Spruce. So thanks again for your reply and I will pursue getting one fabricated and a field approval.

Scott

Scott, if you fabricate one yourself or have it fabricated, just use your old airbox as a pattern and you can manufacture it yourself, or supervise someone else. If you make an identical part, and it is the same as the existing approved part it can fall under owner produced parts. Go to FAA.GOV and download AC 20-62 that covers owner produced parts.
I do not believe that what you need to do would be a major repair, therefore, no field approval or 337 would be required. I am sure that Kent will tell you that it is not necessary to look for additional hassles when repairing a classic aircraft.
FYI, once when I was talking to folks at the FSDO, they didn't even know what a Cruisair was...they sure knew a lot about CH-46 helos though!
LL

maybe grant has got a serviceable airbox ?
more dead cruisaires than than alive...

"if it is good enough to keep the frogs out..it's good enough"
--Orville W.--

In addition to AC 20-62 that allows for owner produced parts, check AC 23-27 that pertains to parts and materials substitution for older airplanes.
http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/advisory_circulars/index.cfm/go/document.information/documentID/1021446

Chuck

Back