Oil Filter Casper Labs mount

rbausone

View attachment 1Has anyone installed the Casper Labs, oil filter Engine Mount on the 7KCAB? :?
It looks like the filter will interfere with two Oil lines shown. The installation literature does not mention any of that. They take the time to explain about the Tach cable and the "vernatherm" remounting.
There are potentially two oil lines on my AEIO-320B that may have a conflict. The Aircraft has the Christen Eagle Inverted Oil system (I think that's standard) so I'm of the opinion that the oil filter mount should have taken that into account...
Thanks in advance for your answers.

Looks like this will require re positioning the Breather hose with a 90 off the block, and making a less direct run to the Breather "tee". Also changing a 45 to a 90 off the block for the oil cooler to the engine line. Doesn't seem that bad after figuring that out. When a kit says "No modifications" are necessary, I tend to think "NO MODIFICATIONS ARE NECESSARY"...But I digress!

Oh and everyone so far says it's going to leak all over the place after you shut down and change the oil...when you pull the filter, so I have been told a gutter may be in order for the time when you change the filter. That remains to be seen.

As far as leaking, yes, it will make a mess every single time you change it. There is no good way to get the filter off without oil going everywhere. Oh well. I have found that an oil quart cut lengthwise makes a fairly good catch can that you can place under the filter. That coupled with a few shop rags, and you will be in good shape.

Talk to the folks at B&C. www.bandc.aero They manufacture oil filter mounts and are knowledgeable on inverted oil systems. They have versions that are clocked differently. If you are committed to the Casper Labs, B&C make an adapter for the vent line that attaches to the accessory case where the vacuum pump would normally go. This should help on one of your interference issues.

Bill

I installed a Casper Labs filter kit in my 79' 8KCAB. Had to make some small mods to the oil line fittings, but it was a pretty easy job. Give me your email address and I will email you the photos of the completed project.
As far as a mess afterword, I disagree completely. I poke a hole in the top of the oil filter and let it drain for 30 mins. No mess at all. These kits are fantastic and I'd recommend them to anyone with this engine. Much better protection, no mess, and you don't have to worry about damaging your oil temp probe as it doesn't get messed with during oil changes.
Ethan W

Tonto,
I'm guessing the whole allows any trapped oil to drain back into the pan?
I will have to try that, as I always have at least a few spoonfuls that drain out of the filter.

Thanks for the Tip!

The drain hole to empty the filter before removal is suggested by Casper Labs in last pages of the installation paperwork. Works great.
We changed the top oil line and fitting to a straight fitting. The hose below it required just being moved out of the way some. Looks like your original setup was the same hose layout as mine before we modified it.

Tonto,
Just confirming, are you poking a hole next to the filter nut to allow the oil to drain back into the motor?
Or are you poking a hole lower and draining the oil into a container?

I have a similar set up on an 0 470 which is why I ask

I put a hole on top by the filter nut (allows air in so the oil can drain) and let it all drain back into the engine for 30 minutes or so, then remove the filter. Very little, if any mess.
Drains better with warm oil of course.

What do you do with the filter after you remove it? I have been told you cut it open and look for parts (metal). Is there a "formality" for that inspection?
And is there an effective way to open the filter without contaminating it (with metal from the filter housing)?

You need an oil filter cutter, there are many brands. Just Google oil filter cutter. http://www.ebay.com/bhp/oil-filter-cutter
You cut the filter housing and remove the pleated filter assembly. Then cut around the pleated filter at both ends with a razor knife and remove the pleated paper, stretch it out and look for unusual metal deposits.
You can use Lycoming SI 1492D to get an idea what you are looking for. http://www.lycoming.com/sites/default/files/Piston%20Pin%20Plug%20Wear%20Inspection.pdf
Bill B

I forgot to mention, I have the B&C adapter on mt 8KCAB (similar to the Casper), Tonto is correct, poke a hole in the top of the filter (small hammer an sharp punch), then I come back the next day, very little mess.
Bill B

Back