Oil filter for O-435A

crumast

Has anyone installed an Airwolf oil filter conversion onto an O-435-A? Airwolf Filter Corp. says their AFC-K007-X kit will work. If so, how did it work out? Or, what about other installations?
Thanks, Tom.

hey tom!

N522A came to me with a Winslow Aerofilter full flow oil filter sytem installed on the firewall. good unit, although a bit bulky. biggest problem now is that Winslow is out of business (owner died) and the filter elements are no longer available. i found a fram cartridge that works, but it's not approved :shock:.

if i was going to keep the O-435, i'd probably go with the airwolf, tho i'm not sure if they actually have an STC for the engine/airframe. if you're interested, my Winslow rig will be for sale later next year.

i'm pursuing an O-470-K conversion so i can fly an engine i can actually get parts for and that doesn't run so blasted hot. hate to lose that wonderful nose bowl, (sorry jonathan!) but practicality wins out in this case.

let us know what you find.

blue skies,
vic & N522A

I have the Airwolf system. Keep in mind that what you get was not designed specifically for the engine but it does tell you where to put the hoses and it comes with an STC. Mine is on the right side where there should be room. It employs standard filters.

Jonathan

Vic:

It's tough to justify impracticality for an aircraft other than a collectors piece that you only fly to Blakesburg and maybe a few other fly-ins where classics and antiques are featured each year.

The problem is weight. The O-470 is heavier enough to require a shorter cowl. An engine I'd love to substitute that weighs about right to fit the original cowling, but the Feds would never approve, would be a Continental TSIO 360, hahahahahahaha! Sorry....not quite sure why that amuses me.

But, hey, a fella got approval last year for putting a Ken Royce 90 on his Luscombe 8A. Looks sweet, but clearly HE was not thinking "practicle" when he did it....unless he has a massive stash of good engine parts. Then again, it's a bit more practicle than, say, a Menasco Pirate engine :)

Jonathan

hey jonathan!

yes, the O-470 engine/prop combo is about 50lbs heavier than the O-435 rig. but N522A could use some nose wgt as it is possible to load the a/c past the aft c.g. limit without too much trouble.

i suspect the 2700lb gross wgt for the 14-19-2 vs 2600 for the straight 14-19 has alot to do with the extra 40 hp available for t/o & climb as the structures are identical. so even though i will operate 22A within her original ops envelope, i believe the a/c will perform better and be safer overall with the O470.

the engine i would REALLY love to install would be a lycoming O-540. the wgt is about the same as the O-435 and you get 45 more ponies. i would have to invent a mount and although easy enough to design, i suspect it would be pure hell to get approved.

ah, the sweet bouquet of bureaucratic "progress". :roll:

all the best for the holidays!

blue skies,
vic & N522A

Back