Oil Filter Install on Cruisair

dtreid

I would really like some way to make sure my Franklin 165 isn't making metal.

Does anyone know if an oil screen or oil filter can be added to this engine?

there is one oil filter that actually has an STC for the franklin ( wolf or B&G I forget which).
despite the almost $800 cost.. at least you don't have to go fishing for feds who "might" approve a 337.

I'm on owner maintenance here in Canada. My Cruisair is treated pretty much like a homebuilt.

What would be the most economical way to install an oil filter?

dtreid said:
I'm on owner maintenance here in Canada. My Cruisair is treated pretty much like a homebuilt.

What would be the most economical way to install an oil filter?

Summit Racing (google) has about a hundred remote oil filter adapter/brackets. Most are cast aluminum. Some are even machined billet. They are priced from $15.95 up to about $150 for some boutique brands. Most are around 25 to 40 dollars. There even may be 1 or 2 there that are used with some STC kit. Dunno.
Since the oil plumbing on a Franklin is wide open on the front left, I don't see any real technical obstacle. Use a spin-on filter with an internal pressure bypass.

There is a Fram kit drawing documented in both Stinson and Bellanca TCDS that the clubs should have that would be a good guide, but apparently all these drawings have vanished from the face of the earth.

Anyway, bracket, fittings and hoses could be less than a hundred.
r

Larry or Dan C. can send you a diagram and 337 that uses a common AC firewall mount spin on oil filter "adapter"
and shows how it is plumbed to the pressure relief assembly which mounted on the left ( pilot) side of the franklin engine.

Lil Red Aero holds an STC for this assembly, and they apparently removed the A/C number from an obvious automotive part.

Dan's 337 shows the filter and hose assy being pressurized at about 100 psi with air, while submerged in a bucket of water,
to test for leaks.

My cruisair is applying for political asylum in Canada, and hope to tag along with it as "essential personel" :lol:

My new catalog from Chief shows a "universal" Franklin oil filter from air wolf at $525ish. Presumably with STC for our planes.

I think I paid $300 for a used piece of something that will be difficult to get approved!

:roll:

Back