oil pan safe wire tab

blimpy

safety wire tab near my oil plug just crapped.

any ideas short of pulling the pan and welding on a nice sturdy steel washer !

safe wired to the oil cooler bracket for now... long way away.

---

after having my damn oil plug fall into an plug up my special wide neck funnel, causing
half my lube oil to end up on the floor... I am now determined to put a short leash on it,
before I remove it next time !

when it is almost unthreaded, I will put a small loop of safety wire in the drilled hole,
and tie some short piece of line to it.

40 lbs of cat litter later :oops:

I guess if I liked ( or trusted) the things, and they weren't what $80 bucks ??
I would.

If they work as well ( not ! ) as quick drains for fuel tanks ( always dubious)
then I'm underwhelmed.

but maybe given the PITA it is to change oil with the current Giant Gusher Plug..
maybe worth it.

:lol:

I have had the Saf-Air drain on the IO-470 for 5 years and I don't think it's leaked a drop of oil in that time. Unlike just about every other part of the engine...

It's been well worth the money. Of course, I can also reach through the gear opening to attach the drain hose, which speeds things up considerably...

Now if I could only figure out how to get the oil screen off without making a mess of the place...

bbarrett said:
I have had the Saf-Air drain on the IO-470 for 5 years and I don't think it's leaked a drop of oil in that time....

Agreed! easy-peasy. Jiffy Lube couldn't do it faster.

bbarrett said:
Now if I could only figure out how to get the oil screen off without making a mess of the place

I pack half a roll of blue towels under the thing and get it out of there as fast as I can. I'd love to put a remote filter in there but haven't found one that will fit. I liked the old ADC system but they're gone.
The STC for ADC is up on eBay right now.. 58K!! free shipping though :)

eBay item number: 251185177626

frankly my dear... ( couldn't resist ! )

ok.. AirDam huh.

I'll look.

hope they make a giant economy size for the franklin drain plug.

L.

Back