Old magazine articles

gjordan

Dan, I was going through old boxes and found an issue of SPORT FLYING,, vol 2, no. 7 July 1968. It has the first of a 3 part series on Bellanca. It is some really funny reading about Giuseppe (or Joe as he was called then). There are photos of the CF, CD,CE, a De Havilland with Bellanca wings, and the WB1, which I think is the Pathfinder. The magazine says part 2 will be about the Bellanca J, and other racing Bellancas. I wonder if anyone has the next issue? Dan, since you are our club historian, can I drop it in the mail to you? ____Grant.

Grant,
Yes you can.
The WB1 was a beautiful one off airplane sponsored by Wright Aeronautical to showcase it's new J4 engine. It looked much more like the later "CH" than the WB2. It set all kinds of records for it's class in 1925. It was never called "Pathfinder." There were a couple Bellanca Pathfinders. The first was an early "CH."
I think I had a couple pictures of the WB1 in the newsletter a couple years ago.
Dan

Dan, you are right. I just looked again, and the one called the Pathfinder in the photos was a Bellanca J. It is a drawing rather than an actual photo. I will drop the mag in the mail in the morning. ______Grant.

Back