Only using fuel from one tank

tangogawd

Hey guys,
As stated above, my 66 7ECA is using fuel damn near exclusively from the left tank. I haven't flown in a few months, and last time I flew it, when I walked away, it had 11 gals right, and dry in the left. I preflighted this past weekend for a flight and noticed that it hasnt leveled over. I even kept the caps loose for about 45 mins while i finished up, thinking that would level over if it where a clogged vent. maybe? The only other thing I can think of is contamination, most likely ice, in the fuel line. But with two manifolds, I doubt that they would both be blocked. unless BOTH are needed for the tanks to stabilize. I'm in Fairbanks AK, so its been well below freezing. During the summer it would use ever so slightly more from the right tank, which I was ok with sense that's the fuel gauge side.

I am planning on annualing it next month (2 months early), but I'm going to have to fly it to another field to get it in a hanger.

Any thoughts?

thanks

my 7gcaa does similar strange things with the fuel cross-feed. I am still investigating, but i think i will start with the fuel line/flow diagram. There is one in the operating manual, but i am not sure how good that will be.

anyone have a repair manual, who could get us a good diagram and flow schematic?

well, I was gifted to be able to fly today. I burned about 4gals out the right tank, and 7 gals on the left. thats better then before. there is a diagram in the manual, and its a pretty uncomplicated design, I'm just not well versed in hydromechanics. my experience is with turbines with two to three pumps per system, not gravity fed systems. As easy as they my seem, I'm sure there's a variable I'm not thinking.

There is a thread below "fuel System vent problem" that might provide some insite into your situation. I think this "link" will take you to it.

SamS

http://www.bellanca-champion.typeclubs.org/BB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2798

I'm not sure that it is a vent issue. I'm not getting the suction sound some talk about when opening the cap. cap seals are new, and tight. I really need to get this thing in a hanger.

Gents, a couple of things to remember. The airplane from the factory are not perfectly balanced left to right main gear. Always one side heavy. As pilots we perhaps do not fly the airplanes perfectlys straight, always one wing down. I know I do. This puts more fuel in the down wing. When sitting in the hangar, the ACA fuel system, will alway drain towards the low wing. Just a thought.

Back