Open Door in Flight?

dleigh

I was doing IFR practice when my safety pilot asked if the door could be opened in flight to facilitate exit in case of emergency landing. Open door would or should avoid jammed door in event of upset.

Does anyone know whether this door opening procedure has been or can be done?
David :?:

I have had mine pop open when I didn't secure it properly so I am sure you could unlatch it if you needed to.

I wasn't worried about the airplane, but I did have a hard time convincing my wife she wouldn't fall out.

Chuck

I had trouble with my door for awhile. It would pop open in flight and create a nice draft. I finally fixed it with a new latch and set screw. I used the door open routine this spring. I'm at a grass field and had a strong crosswind come up on a return trip. Cruisemasters don't like crosswinds. I couldn't keep it straight on trying to land until I poped the door open. The extra drag allowed me to keep it straight and get down without a trip off the runway. Desperate men do desperate deeds! Lynn N9818B the crate 8)

Thanks for the input. I guess all is fair in emergency, I was just concerned the door might exit stage right and kiss the tail.
:p David

cruiser-types!

at the columbia flyin 2 weekends ago, i tried the door open routine in order to drop bombs :shock: .

only thing i noticed was some very slight buffeting on the tail and the inability to completely close the door until we landed. no serious handling problems that i could discern. didn't try any slips, tho.

hope this helps! :D

blue skies,
vic & N522A

Back