Opening side window

Brendan Carmody

The side window next to the pilot's seat is fixed in my 14-13. In pictures of other Cruisairs that I've seen, that window appears to slide down. Did they come that way from the factory? If so, I'd like info on restoring this feature to my bird. By the by, I didn't get any recommendations on a tow bar (see my earlier post) -- hasn't anyone found a good tow bar?

My 14-13-3 has a sliding window but I am not sure if my 14-13 does. I will try to take a look this week end. I made a tow bar from some 1 1/4 square tubing and some plastic lawn mower wheels. I saw one advertised somewhere and did a little improving on the design and it has worked great for a couple of years. I am going to make a new window track for my 14-13-3 soon I could just make two sets of every thing. I did some repair on my window two years ago but it still doesn't work like I would like. Greg

I have an original 14-13 (no airframe mods) and it has the sliding window that you're talking about. The only problem that I've heard of with them is that if the drain tube from the lower edge comes unhooked, they tend to leak some water down inside the fabric and it tends to lay near the tube structure... the results should be easy to figure out....
You could contact Bob Szego and get the drawings for the window frame and all the stuff you'd need.... and it would only take a log book sign-off, as it's a factory option.. no 337 needed.
Good luck!
John H.

cglucas said:
My 14-13-3 has a sliding window but I am not sure if my 14-13 does. I will try to take a look this week end. I made a tow bar from some 1 1/4 square tubing and some plastic lawn mower wheels. I saw one advertised somewhere and did a little improving on the design and it has worked great for a couple of years. I am going to make a new window track for my 14-13-3 soon I could just make two sets of every thing. I did some repair on my window two years ago but it still doesn't work like I would like. Greg

My 14-13 is a -3. Anyway, it appears the sliding window was a factory option. That would explain why some aircraft have them and some don't. I'd like to add the feature so, if you'll be manufacturing parts to retrofit a sliding window to your 14-13, I'd like a set too. I'll call you some evening soon to discuss.

My 14-13-2 has a sliding window and is completely disassembled. If I can round up all the parts, I'll take some photos if you'd like. The whole affair is quite straightforward. :)
Lengthening the drain tube a little should eliminate any chance of it coming out of its hole. Periodically you need to run a piece of wire through it to keep it unstopped though.
I had a 1969 E-Type Jaguar that had the gas tank filler cap located in a well on top of the left rear fender. The drain tube for the well got clogged. It rained. My tank filled with rainwater. I got about 3/4 of a mile down the road before my engine died. I sat by the roadside with my gas line off the gascolator using the electric fuel pump to pump about 4 gallons of water out of the tank. Good thing water is heavier than fuel huh?
Just a little story to give you an idea of the importance of keeping drain lines open :roll:

Back