original paint scheme 14-13

tjbell

I saw on the Facebook Forum that you could find the original color scheme from Alexandria Aircraft, There records only go back to mid 50's, Is there any way to find what the original color of the earlier aircrafts where originally, serial number 1163, I would love to refinish it back to it's original glory instead of Cleveland Brown paint scheme. I did talk to one of the owners that had it in the mid 50's but it had been recovered and painted before they purchased it, she said here husband had added the lower to be red since he loved red airplanes. Thanks for any leads to get me there, Joe

I have found some old photos of the 14-13 I used to have, but they were all black and white so it didn't help as much as you would hope.

By chance did the Smithsonian get the original paper work and colors when they got there collection? Maybe some one knows this answer before I start mailing them? Thanks Joe

You might seek out advertisements of the time, showing the paint scheme and colors.
The early 14-13s had a simple scheme...off white or ivory top half and what looks like "Tennessee Red" on the bottom half. There was a "swirl" emblem with "Cruisair" on the sides of the fuselage.
The later -2 and -3 airplanes had a different layout which was basically one color for the whole airplane and a contrasting stripe down the sides.

Dan, I see places where there had been red lower and white upper but I contacted one of the owner from the fifties and she said her husband liked red on the aircrafts he owned so he had it repainted with red. About what serial numbers did the change the paint schemes, if you know that answer? This one is 1163 and has the ivory color and contrasting stripes, Cleveland Brown colors.

Your airplane is relatively early and built as a straight 14-13. It would have the early two color paint scheme. Give me a day or so to find a color advertisement.

Back