Overcoming 14-19-2 Cranking Challenges

glennhake

For the most part, I've been rocking the prop through one compression stroke at a time the last 17 years. Fortunately the ol' O-470 starts easy. I noticed the Type Certificate Data sheet shows the the Exide battery weighs a bit more than the Gill G-35 I've been using. I noticed the Concord CB-35a cross-references with the G-35. The Concord weighs 1.5 pounds more and according to the spec sheet puts out 325 cold cranking amps compared to the G-35's 250 cold cranking amps.

I've have about a month of experience with the Concord so far.

I cleaned all connections again. The connection inside the cabin at the top of the firewall is still a bear. I still have the aluminum rod for a cable. I have the original starter (recently overhauled).

The prop now goes through the compression stroke with authority. It rarely needs to be rocked to get through the compression stroke. Most of the time the prop actually spins. Even when hot.

I would say starter performance improved from 30% of where it should be to 75-80% of where it should be. I post this because in all my reading I missed the Concord battery option. :lol:

As I'm sure you know, dumping the aluminum rod in favor of copper would pretty much solve your problem far more than any battery can. Over time the aluminum loses its conductivity, though I'm sure it seemed like a wonderful notion at the time.

Jonathan

I put a sealed Concord 35 in the crate last July. It has helped my starting. Then I topped the engine and the great compression played on the starter. I have copper cable up to the firewall and that is the real help. Soon our field is closing down for a couple years. I'm in process of building a shop in hanger at BTP then I'm going to strip and cover the crate, I will replace all the battery/ starter wire at that time along with what ever else I discover. LORD WILLIN AND THE CREEK DON"T RISE= Lynn N9818B :D

Lynn,

We you able to get the alluminum rod out when you went to copper or are you leaving it in until you recover?

Glenn, back in 76 when John Lazar owned the crate, he had the wings pulled for inspection (panic about the dry rot AD that year). At that time he had copper wire put in. I had my eight year old neighbor walk back into the fuselage of the crate to run more wire for me. I taught him how to tywrap the wire and where to put his feet. He thought that was so cool and then I gave him 20 bucks! When I recover I'm going to bigger guage. Lynn PS see ya at Pober Circus OSH.

Back