Paint schemes

planebones

Dear Bellancophiles: I am considering a paint scheme for my Cruisair. I am tempted to be creative and do some "modern" paint design, but at the same time realize that these planes are pretty much museum pieces & maybe should be restored with as much originality as possible for history's stake. Any opinions? (Yea I know it's my dang project I can paint it like a Holstein Cow if I want to!) thanks Ken

Dunno, Ken - those original paint schemes were gawdawful. Best I've seen, to my taste, is brilliant red and Diana Cream, with the N numbers on the wings.

All it takes is one look at the mustard yellow interior of a Cessna to know we're not all that good at such things. Find a gal with a good eye, or ask your gay friends to take a shot at it. As you said, it's your airplane. Make it sing :)

Jonathan

Personally, I love the Red & Cream, with the big white Numbers on the wings. That would be my favorite. The '47 cream color with the red stripes is pretty nice, too.

Like you said, these are museum pieces you can fly! I think they own us, not the other way around.

Whatever you do, don't go "modern". The plane was designed in 1939 and the design reflects the deco, international, & Bauhaus influences of that time and so should the paint design. If you think that spinner hubcaps would help a 1939 Rolls-Royce, then you would probably think a "modern" paint scheme would help your Bellanca. My suggestion is: original is a great choice and something that reflects the era would be a great choice-anything else--forget it.
http://www.russellw.com/ is a web site with a lot of Bellanca pictures and with a search engine you can see what others have done and you can google other sites like frappr-Bellanca club to see more pix and get some inspiration. Is everyone else out there as non-neutral as I am about this?

Ever see the guy who did a perfectly good Cruisemaster up with a North Africa pink paint scheme? He then added a Flying Tiger shark mouth and British roundals. CASE CLOSED! Lynn N9818B :evil: :evil:

Yep, I saw that pain scheme and was glad I wasn't in the air at the time.....it's a long reach in my airplane for the sick sac.

Alain just posted some photos of his Cruisair up topic...there were photos of other airplanes too (these were photos of what they call an Air Rally in Oh Canada) not that they mattered :wink:

If you want a great example of a paint scheme, look no further.

Jonathan

Yes this is an Antique aircraft rally they do at the museeum once a year. We have from spitfires and mustang to aeronca chief and are asked to do passes for the crowd. And also these cars and bike static display. It's just a week end long fly-in breakfast focusing on antiques. There was that guy with a 1929 Franklincar that wanted some shots with his car and my bird together.

There is this other guys with is whole collection on this following site, check the collection!!!15 aircrafts, and not cheap ones: Hurricanes, Mustangs, Spit, Corsair , Harvard, Fox Moth, Tiger Moth, Everything Moth etc, all the same owner all in flying condition.
http://www.vintagewings.ca

Ya, ya! they have that here up north too! ya! :wink:

BTW, I meant paint schemes, not pain schemes...though the latter is appropriate in its own way.

Alain:

Oh, I know there are wonderful aircraft to the north of the United States. Too few Moths down here, though, IMO :)

Jonathan

If you want some 3-view drawings to practice on, shoot me an e-mail to cruisair@hotmail.com and I'll send them.
Be sure to get a new box of Crayons :wink:

Back