Pneumatic tailwheel

planebones

My 14-13-2 has a solid rubber tailwheel.....can a pneumatic one be installed? any information woud be appreciated thanks Ken

Ken,
The Cruiseair FAA Type Certificate Data Sheet (A-773) approves a pneumatic tailwheel per Bellanca drawing 18222. I would also like to use a pneumatic tailwheel.

Does anyone have a copy of this drawing?
Ron

I'd take a copy of the drawing, I wouldn't mind intalling a pneumatic tail wheel on my 14-13-2. Flying from packed gravel runway and it sound very rattly when taxiing.
What's the wheel part number, is it on the TC?
Alain.

The TC say Maule SFS-P8 wheel and axle. I would be interested in seeing this drawing also. I guess this fits in the current fork?

Kevin

Well if this number fit, maybe don't need drawing but refrences numbers to put in log and that's it!
We have TC reference, part number, drawing number, ther ya go! isn't it?

A.

From the drawing I see on Aircraft Spruce, I wouldn't be suprised that the axle is the same. You might be able to use the axle already installed but again, this is just by looking at the drawing on the screen. I have a spare one here, I will check this out.
Alain.

That was my question. Will it fit? I have a 6 inch solid tire and have plenty of room width wise but wonder if the 2 inch bigger around tire would fit the fork. If it does then yes it is OK per TC and only needs a log book entry. My axle is 1/2 inch. Just an AN8 bolt which is what the parts book calls for. The bushings on the side of the tire may need modified which is no big deal.

Thanks,
Kevin

Hi everyone!

This is my first post on this very interesting website.

In regards to use of a pneumatic tail wheel tire, someone else pointed out the Aircraft Specification sheel # A-773. On Revision 10, it state that a Maule Hub and Axle Model SFS-P8 can be used. This includes a pneumatic 8.00 tire, or 8 x 3.00, 4-ply tire. As with any like change, the weight and balance would need to be updated. The Maule unit comes in around 7 lb.

Eric D

Be CAREFULL You might get what you asked for. I have a P-8 tailwheel on my Cruisemaster. Tailwheels get one hell of a beating. I have replaced that tube and tire 3 times in the last five years. The tire tends to shift on the wheel upon landing and eats up the tube. The best way to keep it solid is to keep max pressure in the tube as this tends to keep the tire locked on the rim. The solid rubber tire NO PROBLEM! Lynn the crate N9818B 8)

Back