Procedure to add right side brakes to 14-19-2?

jmcbatx

Good to be posting in this forum. My last two aircraft clubs were Cessna (180) and Beechcraft (BE58TC). Looking forward to getting to know the Bellanca-Champion folks!
Our Cruisemaster Firestone brakes have been replaced with single puck Cleveland units but only has left side brakes. Is an STC available to add right side brakes or would that be field approval be necessary? We have the stc for the dual puck and would probably convert to such while at it.
Certainly appreciate any advice on this project!
Best,
Jay

Hi Jay, and welcome to the forum! Please tell us more about your Cruisemaster… have you owned this machine for a while or a new acquisition? Pictures will be appreciated too.

We have some very knowledgeable triple-tail experts that contribute here, so hopefully you will receive a solid answer to your question. Although I have chosen to stay with the left-side brakes only on my machines, there was a time when I wish there were brakes on the right side. Quick story… I purchased my first Cruisemaster, a 14-19-2, N1313B in 1975 when I was a very low time pilot (<100 hrs) and no complex time whatsoever. I was expecting a thorough checkout from the previous owner, but that didn’t happen. After handing over the check he offered a couple of “orientation” flights around the patch, but wasn’t about the let me sit in the left seat – that’s when I learned that Cruisemasters don’t have brakes on the right side. So when I sat in the left seat for the first time I was alone, horribly inexperienced, and appropriately scared. One of the many examples of bad judgment on my part – fortunately the well-mannered Bellanca took good care of me. Yes, right-side brakes make good sense in various situations! --Rob

I personally don't recommend putting double pucks on the 14-19-2 my brakes are so powerful and the pedals are at an angle that it is hard to apply full rudder input without getting the brakes that I would be happier with single puck brakes that have some travel before grabbing and require lots of pressure to slide a tire. Just an opinion. The original brakes were very weak but they didn't get in hyour way either.

I have the Bodell brakes on my 14-19-2. While they will not hold under a full power runup, and the pedal effort is high, they work and they have been reliable. The parts are reasonably cheep and available from Skybound.
I am not so sure that taildraggers want really powerful brakes. When a wind gust catches me by surprise and I’m already out of rudder my brake application can be kinda panicky and the gentle action of the Bodell’s helps keep me from embarrassing myself.

I got STC SA294GL Cleveland single puck brakes. They work great and are also used on Cessna 180. Breakdown 40-97A wheel and 30-63A brake. The real control is with the master cylinder. I have the rebuilt Goodrich Electrol 87-87.Pascals principle. Lynn the crate :idea:

Double puck brakes are overkill. If you really want to improve the braking force and feel, switch to modern master cylinders.
I installed grove master cylinders on my cruisair and it made a world of difference. I also used slightly shorter masters to help the pedal angle issue.

Right side brakes would require a 337 and some fab work. I haven't seen it done on any cruisemaster.

-Adam

I recently did some tail wheel time in the Citabria with the Clevelands brakes and 035 ? masters cylinders what a different they are to the original brakes, I sure like have something there to just touch a tad and keep me going straight.

Back