Rebuilding a Cruisair Door and Pilot sliding window

Bernie Ferrie

Guys
Has anyone got information about rebuilding the Cruisair Door. Mine is quite a mess, lots of corrosion on the skin below the window, and a poor fit. The hinges are worn and sloppy - has anyone modified the hinges so they are screwed to the metal frame rather than to timber which hasn't cope very well?
Would be very interest if someone has one lying around.

Also has anyone got information on the sliding pilot window - mine was screwed shut. Once I removed the fabric I could see all the framework for the window to slide down. Is it worth doing, do they seal OK - it would be great in Summer down here. I finally know what that small drain is under the pilot seat - window sill drain.
regards
Bernie

Bellanca liked to spotweld lots of sheetmetal parts. The door is one of them. People put their weight on them, they get deformed. All I can say is treat the corrosion and maybe you can muscle the door into shape. I think the sliding window was a B-I-G mistake. Water and debris would collect in the scupper, plug up the drain---and now all this stuff is flowing down the inside of the fuselage. I would seal the window. You can add a vent wing or 'cool scoop' while you do that.

I have yet to encounter a Cruisair or New Castle Delaware Cruisemaster door that fit properly. The late '50s 'Masters have a better fit (perhaps it's the fiberglass) until you fly....and the airflow creates suction. My consideration of having the damned thing bent to fit on my 14-19 was a brief affair. I simply stuffed thicker door seal rubber in there to reduce the noise. Sometimes, when my imagination is particularly active, I actually believe it helps.

I really like my sliding window and wouldn't think of making it fixed. I don't fly IFR and have a hangar so I don't worry about water.

Kevin

Bernie,
I have two doors for my 47' Cruisair and obviously will only need one. I'm just not sure which one yet but they are both in pretty good shape. How soon will you need a door? I'll donate the door but you will either have to pick it up or pay for the shipping. (I'm guessing that you won't be stopping to pick it up.) :D
Gary Brink

Dear Gary,
Thanks for the generous offer, I am happy to pay for the door and of course pay shipping. I'm am in no hurry as I have just stared a full restoration. Could you please sent me an email to : bferrie@optusnet.com.au. to organise how to do this.

Thanks for you help
regards
Bernie

Hi Bernie, I recently sent the club a copy of the original drawing for the sliding window.It is not in very good shape but it might be of some help to you. My first ride in a Cruisair was in 100 degree heat and when the pilot climbed in and slide the window down I was hooked. It was wonderful. Dans comments about the damage caused by the leaks is very true,but not too many Cruisairs are left out in the rain anymore. I have also seen a Cruisair that didnt use the wood window guides . The owner had installed felt lined automotive window channel and it worked perfectly.One of the things to conceder when doing the window is how to make the handle and latch less dangerous,since they are right next to your head. The original handle could cause major damage in the event of a crash.The window in my plane is somewhere around number 189 on my project list so it will be a while before I get to it ,but it is a definite DO IT sort of improvement. Grant

Back