Rebuilding gear on 14-19-2

peterdeon

As long as I have my gear off my 14-19-2, I will probably try to make it like new. I am rebushing everything, but need help on replacing the bronze/brass bushings in the gear legs. Does anyone have some?? I will contact the factory, but my understanding is that generally people make their own and would just as soon buy a set. Also would be very happy if someone has diagrams of how the dampeners, I would appreciate it. I have seen the diagrams in Russ Williams site, but was hoping for something bit clearer. I am taking the gear down to Bob Seals in Selma, CA who I met at the Columbia Fly-in who seems to have what it takes (I don't trust myself to fix anything major) Peter petersch@exwire.com

Pete, I noticed no reply on the Forum so maybe I can help. I have a parts breakdown on the -2 gear that I can mail you. It has helped me when I rebulilt the crates gear. Lynn N9818B :shock:

lwford, I have been studying the cruismaster forum for several days. I have resently aquired a 14-19-2 that was ground looped. The gear was badly damaged. I haven't got it hauled home yet so am not sure what I have. But from the initual inspection both gear look like they are beyoud repair. I will probably need a parts manual when I get started on this rebuild but, your gear parts list would probably help considably in trying to determine what I need to get it on its gear. Not new to aviation, but a newby to this club so would be williing to purchase what ever information you have accumulated. Thank you,

Bellancaman of Souix Country please send me your address and I will copy up and send you what I have for your -2. All I ask is thanks and postage. Lynn N9818B the Crate

Much to our dismay there is no parts or service manual for the -2. This was a pre FAA airplane and frankly they (Northern) didn't give a dame about fixing planes, just selling them. Soooo you can litterly do what you want as there is no paper trail soooo this also makes it difficult to repair. Sooo we all press on and the forum has good people to help. :) :idea:

That’s incredible that there are no manuals out there. My experience as mech. is with ag aircraft. And modified super cubs on different contracts, so I am familiar with improvising. This aircraft however I want to keep LEGAL so will need all the help I can get with the repair job. Looks like I am going to be forced to renew my relationship with the Feds. I already have a file that I have copied and saved from the forum that I will be using. Looks like you guys are the data base for this one. :eek: :arrow:

Monty Hackens
3780 Twilight Drive
Rapid City, SD 57703

605 754-2321

monty@hackens.net

lwfork, In case anyone would try to get hold of my by phone. I screwed up the one I posted. :oops:
605 754-6210
605 209-2321

Also that is a mailing address, if anyone is in the area and wants to stop, email me and I will send you coordinates to the ranch strip. We operate a 260 Comanche and a C210 out of it so should be no problem for any Bellanca. Come to think of it the only Bellanca I ever flew, a Viking was out of this strip.

If you are looking for serviceable main gear for your groundlooped 14-19-2 call Morris 530-385-1727 He is advertising elsewhere on this site that he is parting out a 14-19-2. Last time I was there, he still had the gear as I recall. He sold FWF to a guy in Livermore. He bought a "dead" 14-19-2 thinking it would be an easy restoration and after finishing the wings (which he would love to sell) decided that he probably wouldn't finish the project in ten lifetimes (I think the cost of restoring a derelict is way above the cost of a reasonable restored bird-sad but true and someday we will regret all the lovely "restorable planes" that were parted out.)

Peter:
Thanks for the info. I now have the bill of sale for N9840B. Yesterday I started stripping off the damaged gear preparing it for transport. After spending a day in a large hanger with super cubs, cessnas, mooneys and the like, getting to know this historic old bird I am "really pumped". I can't wait to get her home and start to work. I bought the aircraft with the idea of parts, if the rebuild was going to be too difficult or expensive. But I agree: this one will be back in the fleet if at all possible.
The same gentleman owned her for 32 years. There wasn't a lot of maintenance done in those years. Its painted with Imron :cry:
It was almost a sacred experience as I opened her up finding expamples of maintenace practices that I was taught in A & P school 37 years ago that were out dated then.
I have dope and fabric experience but *NO* experience with wood. Therefore this is going to be a real challenge . :D

Another source of parts would be Robert Seals, who bought the remains of522A(a 14-19) that struck a mountain after running out of gas (no fault of the plain) He is a great guy and a great resource for all of us (having restored 522A) (559) 891-1496 is his shop number. You will be thrilled when you get your plane restored. I owned a couple of cardboard constellations in about 25 years ago and am thrilled that I have finally been able to rid myself of the Bonanza curse (mainly the personality disorder that accompanies ownership) and once again own a Bellanca taildragger. For those who have followed the thread, I was very sure that the entire problem was toe-in, but Robert Seals who redid the gear to eliminate such problems did also find some serious brake binding. There were real problems with the geometry of the gear (including a bent trunion) which probably had some effect on flyability. The previous owner of my plane reported he required fifteen hours of taildragger time prior to feeling ready to fly my plane. When I bought my first Bellanca taildragger, I had an hour of touch and goes in a pals Cessna 120 prior to hopping into the Bellanca 14-13-2 and flying it home and making my first landing solo. It is the best plane you will ever fly.

Back