Redesigning Cruisemaster instrument panel

slackl

Hello everyone.

I'm coming to the decision of a full panel redesign in my 14-19-2.
Obviously - this is not an easy task of placing instrument templates on canvas and sending this to a laser-cutting machine as Cruisemaster have:
- rather limited panel space
- possible instrument locations are obstructed by control column travel from the back side

I'm sure some of you have done that quest, so I should definitely ask.
Does anyone has Cruisemaster instrument panel dimensions/outline in any format ? hand-drawn and/or CAD drawing ?
Ideally - with default attachment points and/or obstacles for instrument placing.

This can save a lot of my time in my project as I will not need to remove my panel and measure/draw it.

--
Regards,
Ivan Postnikov

mine has been cut up and changed in the past, and a total re-design is going to be hard (but doable and worth the effort probably). one thing making it harder is all the semi-structural stuff behind the panel that supports the control yokes. you can't just consider where you want the intruments, you have to put them where they will fit. But i have an original panel cover that i used to put mine back together enough to use.

luckily, most of the really good modern stuff is pretty shallow, and they combine multiple instruments on the same screen. i'm sure you can come up with a good plan. most of the experimentals that have very limited panel space and whose owners have deep pockets have been very successful and getting a lot of instrumentation in very little space.

i would certainly include adding a modern autopilot.

keep us posted on your planning, not having to deal with the faa will sure add to your flexibility in choosing what you want and where you want to put it (although in my experience, in older airplanes, the panel and avionics changes have often in the past been handled with little regard for legality, with various units appearing and disappearing without logbook reference or 337's filed).

good luck
bobg

as of now - everything on my cruisemaster is documented properly in logbook.

And I'm not the one with deep pockets :)
Right now what I do want - is a HSI (probably KCS55A), Century IIB -> Century III or IV (depending on what I'll find on the market), optional pairing of all that stuff to a portable handheld GPS, moving all of the switches, button, circuit breakers, light dimmers and all that small items thru the panel.

Also thinking of making a line of annunciator lights over the edge of headliner.

My approach to the panel challenge is to create a three-piece CNC machined panel overlay. Using Solidworks to build a 3D model I can include all of the structural components that exist behind the panel that represent interference. I can also model the instruments and avionics and make sure they will fit and see how the panel looks before cutting any metal. I'm making CAD models for both the 14-19-2 and the -3 since they are different in several ways.

Also on my engineering project list is creating a CAD model of the fuselage itself for the purpose of designing the appropriate brackets for a modern autopilot. Not likely that any of the companies making autopilots will include our 14-19-XX series in the STC model list so I want to show the FSDO guys a clean engineering package for a field approval. My progress on this is not happening fast, but I will certainly share everything with my friends here. I am leaning towards the Garmin GFC 500 series autopilot as I like the design of their servos.

So has anyone out there actual completed a panel re-build or made any forward motion on the autopilot install? Ivan, I thought your -2 had an autopilot already installed years ago?

Yes. Mine has single axis Century IIB wing leveler I've recently repaired. Do you really think simple wing leveler is enough in modern world ?

It's all incremental. On a long cross-country a wing leveler can reduce fatigue a bit, but it is certainly not much of an IFR tool. The new generation of entry level autopilots really have some nice features and deal with turbulence more effectively. It's all about your pocketbook.

A side thought, the IO-470 converted 14-19 has a modified panel, and they managed to move the entire panel 3 inches towards the firewall for more knee room. Something to think about.
-Adam

Interesting idea Adam... I would think to do this you would need to remove the boot cowl and windshield. Another interesting concept is to modify the boot cowl and make it removable so that the rear of the panel is more accessible. Bill Monroe mentioned he had done this on his -3. Not sure what the modification entails as there are a lot of rivets holding it in place. Hope Bill can stay active in the forum as he contributed a lot of valuable information in the past.

Ivan, I would be interested in some pictures of the servo brackets as installed for your Century II wing leveler. Also, what autopilot system are you considering?

When I talked to the owner of the modified 14-19, he mentioned 3 inches was about as much as you could go without inhibiting control hoop travel.
It is definitely tight behind the panel, and the amount of work to make a removable boot cowl might actually be worth it given the back pain that ensues anytime you have to lay on your back over the edge of the seat to get to anything.
-Adam

I have posted a help-wanted ad for a "midget contortionist with skinny fingers". I'll let you know if I receive any resumes.

Rob58 said:
Ivan, I would be interested in some pictures of the servo brackets as installed for your Century II wing leveler. Also, what autopilot system are you considering?

Sorry. Have missed your question.
Will make a photo of the servo bracket nearest weekend.
As of now - I've found 337 which was filled for Century II installation on my plane.
It does name some drawings from Century/Mitchell - this can also be of some help.

I have the Century in my -2 as well. It follows the GPS really well in cruise flight but it does not know how to intercept a new course so it is off for the approach intercept. I click it back on in wing leveler mode while I talk to ATC and copy stuff down as the Bellanca is not all that stable in roll and funny things happen when you look away from the attitude indicator for too long.

. N6RJ Panel

I would be interested in any of those 337 forms that were field approved with the Century II, as I am going to be removing that system from my Viking, and it would be good to have it in my Cruisemaster.

I have the blueprint from Mitchell for installing the Century II roll server on the 14-19-3A/17-30. Unfortunately, I don't have the drawing for the pitch servo. Attached is a low-res version of the drawing. If it would be useful, I can send the high-res picture or get it properly scanned.

I'd pretty much kill for a GFC 500. I was happy to see that enough of us bothered Garmin about the G5 STC AML that they finally included the 14-19. Rob58, if there's anything I can do to help, let me know. I'm probably useless for anything that isn't handing over money, but you never know...

Brian... much appreciated! I had no idea that Mitchell created such a detailed drawing of the install. For now this is all I can afford to do, especially since I have the Century II control head already. However I am 100% with you on the lust for the Garmin GFC 500. I think it's only money at this point that would stop us.

Ivan, if you can shoot us some pictures of the servo installation that would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again... Rob

My son Peter has a 14-19-3a, 1965, I think.
It has a removable panel, and the glare shield is also removable. It's possible to reach in over the top (a little) with the glare shield removed.
My 1958 14-19-2 has a structural panel that is permanently attached to the glare shield, which itself is the top of the boot cowl from the firewall back.
There is no way to remove the panel without making a structural cut?
I've come to the decision to stay with the panel, and mostly original instrumentation, and use evolving hand held stuff like iPads and GPS etc.
I sure would like a control stick like the 14-12... :idea: Then the panel would be open behind and deep instruments would fit where you want them.

was away from this forum for a while.
Just to bump a thread and/or to close a discussion.

Panel replacement project took 6 months in total. This included not only new instrument panel, but almost full wiring replacement, new autopilot, new almost everything under the dash.

First was a visual nightmare.
View attachment 2

Original panel was RIVETED EVERY INCH on the whole upper side. Image what it took to drill that off - without removing the windshield.

Then there was a month+ period of drawing, measuring, drawing, printing on a cardboard and measuring and drawing again.
Here is the final version.
View attachment 1

Then there was a pile of cut metal.

Continued...

Back