Remote Mounted Oil Filter?

Blackhawk

I've been thinking about adding this to the airplane to make it easier to change (8KCAB, AEIO-360). Looks like there are two STCs, Airwolf and Aviation Development Corporation. What do you know... both cost $475. Anyone have thoughts on them one way or the other?

I don't know anything about the ADC filter adapter, but I recently installed the Airwolf system. I had the advantage of using my brother's Airwolf equipped 7GCBC to copy, therefore knowing exactly where to drill into the firewall, etc. I also like the fact that I put a filter adapter on my plane that is used by ACA(I'm a bit of an originality nut :roll: )

I also learned that Airwolf's customer support is excellent. Their tech support will answer any of your questions if you're a do-it-yourselfer(they know the exact length of the oil hoses), and will sell hardware, o-rings, etc. if you need more.

And yes, it is much easier to change the oil now. Good luck and let us know how it works out for you.

That looks even easier than the others. Pretty much have to pull the pieces off anyway to check the oil screen during my next oil change, and this appears to just go on in its place. No hoses, so fewer things to break or get messed up. Anyone see a disadvantage of this one? I assume you got the one that goes on at the 11:00 position?

You can go with the B&C Specialties or the Casper Labs(quite a bit less $$). I started with a Casper Labs but learned that I would have had to re-route a vacuum line. Since I didn't want to do that, Airwolf it was. The Casper Labs and B&C are good since all you do is punch a hole in the filter to let the oil drain down -- no mess. You will need to remove your upper cowl to change your oil. With the Airwolf you don't need to remove the cowl :D

I really don't know how long it took me. I think an A&P could do it in about 2 hours.

http://www.chiefaircraft.com/airsec/Aircraft/OilSystem/FilterConversionKits.html

How is it that you don't have to remove the cowel with the Airwolf? I thought it was attaced to the fire wall? That might be worth the extra money to save that much time during oil changes. not that I don't love removing and putting back on engine cowls.

The filter is mounted very low on the firewall. So low, without sticking out, that you can change the filter without removing the cowling. If you want a photo of an actual mounting, let me know your email address.

Sam

I installed the ADC unit.
pros: high quality
Chip detector
Oil Pass light (detects a plugged filter and warns of the condition)
Easy filter screen inspection (you are forced to examine the filter screen at every service interval)
Second (electric) oil pressure sensor (low pressure light)
No crowding of the vacuum pump / oil temp fitting area
Remote installation - firewall

Cons; extra hoses required
a bit heavier ( due to extra hoses)
lower cowl needs to be removed ( was initially dissapointed but I now believe it assures a good inspection opportunity anyhow)
kit came with hoses i didn't care for (had teflon hoses made)
indicator lamps supplied were OK but I substituted push to test stlye lights
a bit more complicated installation - hoses, wiring for indicators ( but these are added value items-indicators)

I like the ADC unit althoutgh sometimes I wish i had a simple screw on filter but then again at $20 a pop and a P.I.A to cut open for inspection (plus a $60.00 tool to do it) I am very satisfied with an effective filter that is easy to remove, clean and inspect and I have the benefit of an excellent chip detector and a filter that can actually "monitor" the engine during an impending internal metallurgical crisis.
'76 8kcab , 1300 happy hours and still going strong.

I put the B&C adapter on my 8KCAB, it's mounted where the oil screen was, at a 45deg. angle. I don't like the extra hoses on the firewall mounted unites as the 8KCAB has plenty of hoses already.
Bill Becker

globe said:
I put the B&C adapter on my 8KCAB, it's mounted where the oil screen was, at a 45deg. angle. I don't like the extra hoses on the firewall mounted unites as the 8KCAB has plenty of hoses already.
Bill Becker
That is kind of how I feel. To me, the hoses are just an extra failure point. I like the idea of not having them.

Back