Removing the starter from a Franklin 150 hsp.

Gary Brink

My 150 Franklin is still hanging on a hoist so I thought this would be an ideal time to have the starter checked out. When I took the bolts out of the starter and took off the back cover, I took one look at the clip and spring assembly and decided that I didn't want to go any farther until I have more information. It looks like when I pull the clip off of the end, the spring may become a UFO and even if it doesn't, how will I get it back together? Does it take special tools or is there a simple solution? :?:
Gary

Gary, Do not take the Bendix unit apart. About the only thing you can do is check the brushes for wear and some minor cleanup. If your starter has been working well, leave it alone. If not, take it to a reputable shop that rebuilds starters, generators and alternators. It is not expensive and the parts will be available. Dan

Thanks, Dan, but that was what I had planned to do with it in the first place. It doesn't want to come out and it looks like it is the bendix that is keeping it from coming out. How do I get the starter out so I can take it in and have the professionals check it over?
Gary

If my memory is correct, you take off the crankcase vent that houses the bendix, then you rock the starter down to raise the bendix over the starter gear. Then pull the starter rearward. Reverse the process to install. Let me know. Dan

Dan, thank you for your advice. It only took a few minutes to get the starter off and it is in the electronics shop now.
Gary

This forum is so dead I feel obligated to make a posting once in a while just to see if there is still anyone out there. I stopped today to see if my starter was done. It isn't done because they had to order a new bearing but I thank the Lord that I took it to be checked out now rather than waiting until after the engine is back in the bird.
Gary

I agree. You would think with everyone snowed in, folks would flock to indoor activities.........like the forum. BTW, how's the generator? Take the point cover off the mags. Put one small drop of motor oil on the felt cam follower pad. Check and adjust the points, if necessary. Check all the cap screws and nuts for proper torque. USE the Franklin manual for the correct values. One of the most overtorqued parts is the crankcase cover. As a result, more than 50% of the covers I have seen are cracked up front. Some have been welded and some of these, recracked.......... LET'S PUT SOME FIRE IN THE FORUM! Dan

Well, Dan,maybe it's only the two of us today but we can keep it rolling. As far as my engine, it has been overhauled, mags sent in to be rebuilt and new harnesses, carb sent in for overhaul and ADs, fuel pump rebuilt by Greg, exhaust system sent in and rebuilt, replaced the elctric fuel pump with a new one, generator has been in for cleaning, brushes, and bearing check. I did clean and check the votage regulator and it looks like new. I also have an new Aeromatic prop from Kent so I want to get this thing done and flying. I'm sure there will be some small bugs but it should be like new when we are done....with the exception of the elctric fuel pump. :D
Gary

Back