Replace Mahogany Sheets On Wing of 14-13-2

jmay2174

I am going to have to replace some of the mahogany on my wings. Randy Smith mentioned that he had done this previously.

My question is what is good method of removing the damaged wood from the wing ribs without destroying the wing ribs that are glued to the sheeting?

Also, Randy if you read this, you mentioned that you saw a difference in the wings of the Viking and 14-13-2 when you put a fairings off of a Viking wing faring onto the 14-13 wing. What was the difference.?

Thanks, Joel

I used a 90 degree 2"air sander. Once you get use to it you can even cut the plywood with it. You just tear off the old stuff and sand down to the old glue on the rib. You have to taper the cut anyway and this tool works great. You can by one from Harbor freight. The difference is the thickness of the wing. Same shape they just use a little thicker sheet. If you have to rework your step, brace up the area a little more before you cover it. One of the hardest things to do to the wing after you reseal the Mohagony is to cover up some of the nicest looking plywood you have ever seen. I tried to get my I.A. to do a 337 so I could leave it uncovered. Good luck :lol: :lol:

Back