Replacing Cruisair Gear Bolts - Gear Leg "Spanner "?

blimpy

I resolved to shotgun R&R the 10 hinge/scissor bolts in my cruisair main gear legs, after hearing what happened to
the "flying flag".

I remember reading a nice cruisemaster personal website, where this is discussed, and mention was
made there that one of the bolts requires something a little different than a garden variety AN bolt, to have
adequate shank length ( no threads in moving parts).

Will this be a consideration in my 14-13-2, which does NOT have the newer cruismaster landing gear ?

Maybe a stupid question.. but my parts manual is at the hanger.

---

Not sure how I plan to do this, but I thought I might remove the wing root fairings, and put a jack under the main carry through - doing one side at a time - with the other foot firmly on the ground. Don't think I even need to elevate that side
particularly, just support the load.

Ideas ?????

Not sure what grease to use, I just figure something that has a pretty wide temp range, and wont turn into glue at
those nifty sub freezing temps we all love at altitude in winter. Lithium or blue "boat trailer" wheel bearing grease ?

---

I noticed that the brass "thingus" that holds the bottom packing in the one gear leg, has been busily working it's self
out ! Other side is nice and flush with the bottom of the gear leg casting. But this one has a reveal of 1/2" or more !

Now, I need to find a tool to tighten this thing up with. Damned if I even know what it is called. Obviously has two pins
that engage the holes on the bottom of the "thingus" ( don't you wish I would keep my parts manual at home ? ).

Only tool I have like that is some specialized thing in my old BMW motorcycle tool roll. Metric, not adjustable, naturally.

My handy snap ring pliers are too small.

Be embarrassing to have half a gear leg with wheel dropping out of the sky ( raining goop)
or worse, have it hanging by the hose and micro-switch wires when I try to land ! :roll:

But like SoCalPlaneDoc says " at least you get to work on your airplane ".

Beats cutting weeds, and hauling firewood ! :twisted:

I made a tool pretty easily for tightening that nut on the gear legs. Any of the marine stores sell the wrench since its what they use for their flush deck caps for fuel and water. They open/close like dividers so spacing isn't a problem. The problem I had was that I encountered was that with the correct sized too to reach both sides of the nut the pins diameter was a trifle big for the notches (they fit in holes for the boat folks) so I had to file them a little smaller.

As I recall, I got all the bolts I needed to change out my -3 gear as standard. I believe it was Tom Witmer who suggested I simple get a slightly longer bolt and put a washer under the head to avoid bearing load on the threaded area. I also drilled mine and converted them to grease bolts ala later cruismasters, etc. Not too tough with a good drillpress, SHARP drills, and a sense of humor. Work up to the correct dia hole slowly to avoid breaking the bit(s) and use plenty of cutting oil.

Enjoy.
Scott

ok.. yeah, I remember having a wrench like that ( non adjustable) for bronze deck plates
back when wooden boats and bellancas were common.

Hmm.. west marine again.

went there and ask for "micro balloons"... a long time staple in glass /epoxy saturated boat building.

Giant Blank Stares.

This should be fun. :shock: :roll:

The November 1995 B-C Contact had a helpful tip by Cy Galley about his home made Gland nut spanner for adjusting the gland nut on landing gear legs. Looks like it would be fairly simple to make and only take a few hours max with hand tools. Good picture with dimensions included.

I can snail mail to anyone who needs it. Drop an email twheel47@yahoo.com

Dan Torrey, at the low wing discussion (Columbia) has said to not use the drilled bolts that the parts book calls for. He has seen failures and recommends using solid AN bolts and pulling and greasing every year at annual. The drilled bolts were probably called for in the 14-9 which was 4 or 5 hundred pounds lighter. Much of the Cruisair Senior is just rehash of the Cruisair Junior. I trust Dans advice. ______Grant.

Right on Grant.

I am pulling, inspecting, and lubeing all the clevis bolts in the landing gear...
and replacing anything that needs it with standard AN clevis bolts.

Things aren't cycling 100 times a year. Worked for 67 years . I think they can get along
without special re-design, IF tended to .

Back