Replacing Master Cylinders on a 14-19

crumast

I know this topic has been done, but it seemed to center on the Cruisair installations. I've got a 14-19 with a Cleveland conversion and the original master cylinders. Braking is pathetic. I'm afraid to take it out if there's more than a puff of wind. Here in N. Texas, it was gusting over 25 kts yesterday. Has anyone put a more up-to-date master cylinder in a Cruisemaster? Previously, mention was made of the Grove 675-2 masters in the Cruisairs. Is that a candidate for a 14-19? It's hard to tell from website pictures.

My -2 has Goodrich 87-87 master cylinders. I had to have the piston rods custom made and never had any trouble since. I too have Cleveland conversion STC# SA294GL which includes the 14-19. Brakes work real good. Lynn the CRATE

Crumast,
The grove conversion is a dead ringer pressure wise for the cleveland brake setup.

The largest issue I would see in swapping the master cylinders is the length, and the connecting ends.
Grove offers a large selection of different ends (clevis, inline hole, etc) and also a number of different lengths.

I would just measure your master cylinder length as they are installed now, and buy the grove set that matches it. Grove also offered to make a custom length master cylinder when I was converting my Cruisair, but I didn't end up needing it. The Remote reservoir on the firewall was also very nice to have, no more laying on your belly!

Can't beat 500 bucks for new master cylinders and a remote reservoir!

The other thing to note is that the grove master cylinders are not certified, but the IA that installed mine felt comfortable installing them as "Owner produced parts" given the age of the bird, the local FSDO agreed. I'm sure that a 337 would not be hard to obtain if needed.

Also be aware, the grove master cylinders are INCREDIBLY effective compared to the old stuff, and will surprise you the first couple of times. When I sold the cruisair the new owner's CFI put small pieces of rubber tubing around the master cylinder shafts to reduce the sensitivity for training. Personally, I loved it. When I flew from Virginia to California, I had a gas stop in Borger Texas, and the winds were a solid 25 knots, gusting higher, and at an unfavorable direction to the runway, most likely at or slightly above the crosswind limit. I was able to keep the speed up for a wheel landing, and then use the brakes to keep her straight on the ground. Worked like a charm.

Good Luck!

leadsledfan said:
The other thing to note is that the grove master cylinders are not certified, but the IA that installed mine felt comfortable installing them as "Owner produced parts" given the age of the bird, the local FSDO agreed.

I hope there's more to this story.. buying a MC and slapping it on a plane does not in any way fit the definition of an "owner produced part". It might work just fine but still, the owner/operator did not produce it.

if that was legal, every 14-19 guy would have Conts instead of Lycs, and I'd be fitting a turbine on my -3 :)

The only story is that my Scott master Cylinders were no longer repairable or in production, and the FSDO felt that pretty much any new part was fine. The IA submitted a 337 for the master cylinder support weld repair, but was told by the FSDO the s 337 wasn't necessary for the master Cylinders. This was the Greensboro NC FSDO if that matters at all

Lynn,
My installation is on the same STC. But I don't believe it mentions any replacement master cylinder. I talked to Kevin, at Weber's in MN(they own the STC), and he didn't have a recommended cyl. How did you happen upon the Goodrich 87-87's? Why didn't the original rods work in the Goodrich cyls? If I go this direction, can you supply any paperwork, dimensions, drawings, etc.? Tom Robinson

Tom, The Crate came with the Goodrich master cylinders. Weber installed the STC for the previous owner, the guy I bought it from. He has gone west like we all will. I had one break(piston rod) and there was none available anywhere so I had my machinist friend make me two piston rods. I found that they had been repaired by poor welding so got two new rods. Owner produced part and I rebuilt the cylinders. They have worked fine since. I do have a cad drawing of the piston rod and a Bellanca parts drawing of the 87-87.
I never found a source for the Goodrich 87-87 but that has been a good number of years ago. Lynn the Crate

Yeah, I just noticed in the TCDS that it's standard equipment for the -2. I think it's an easier approval from the Feds than the Grove cylinder. The trick is to locate a serviceable pair. Tom Robinson

lwford said:
.... so I had my machinist friend make me two piston rods.... Owner produced part and I rebuilt the cylinders....

hS9qm6Z.jpg

Back