Rigging 14-19-2

mhackens

Have been searching the old posts to try to find any information on rigging my 14-19-2. Not having much luck. Can anyone point me toward some publications, etc? I have the newsletter on the ailerons rig in the newsletter and that is all.

I can rig a super club in my sleep. But an going to have to at least know were the leveling points are to do this thing. As it sets the ailerons seem to be too tight and the elevator way to loose. That’s probably the way it was flying.

Got to have this thing spot on, don’t want to make those termites sick. They might loose their grip :twisted:

Well I at least found the level points. Two little post on the right side center section. Seems like those cute little flippers on the end of the horizontal would have to be square with something too :?: :?:

Sorry for the sarcasm, but we have a Norwegian mecenek, rigging a Italian airplane here :twisted: :twisted:

I got my info out of the POH which is also the only maintenance maual for this plane-actually it is the entire factory body of literature for this plane. I'm not sure whether you need to even know the leveling points to rig the plane (unless you are rigging wing incidence) I have not touched my ailerons since they were rigged fine, but the angles shown are from level to the wing-not to a leveled aircraft. I have rigged my rudder and tailwheel and it is a pretty logical procedure, but will take a bit of time and will require some trial and error. Be sure to be familiar with safety wiring of turnbuckles and the rules governing the use of turnbuckles. For instance, only three threads should be showing when you are done-never more-some have a "check hole" into which to insert a piece of wire to be sure they are tight enough. Also, turnbuckles built before 1978 have a FAA special information information bulletin regarding NAS-649 turnbuckle barrels. the tendancy of the barrels is to crack. If you think the barrels are original , you may want to change them for newer crack resistant ones. I believe the clip on type are not original to the aircraft, so you might want to stick with safety wire. The POH originally called for brass safety wire and in all the copies of the POH I have seen, the book has been changed to stainless steel. Would probably stick with stainless-I've never even seen brass for sale, though I confess to not having looked hard. Here is how I rigged it. First I cut the safety wire and loosened the turnbuckles (now is the time to replace or shine them-also make sure they have equal numbers of threads showing and note that number. Then, I blocked off the rudder pedals-I used scrap wood and wheel chocks. Then I blocked off the rudder with two pieces of wood and some big rubber bands. Next pull the aircraft forward a couple of feet to center the tailwheel. The tailwheel won't move left or right easily, so gravity should hold it in place. The turnbuckles should be rather loose. Then go into the tail of the plane (you may wish to remove the battery to give you more room and better visibility.) There is a two piece one cubic inch metal block that has two bolts through it that splices the cables to the rudder with the cables to the tailwheel. I adjusted this first to make everything loose but almost tight and equal-There are two springs and the weight of the springs will make them seem tighter than they actually are, so watch that the springs really do appear to be almost tight. Then start tightening the four turnbuckles equally until the tensions seem just right (look at other planes to get a feel for what is "right" Recall that the tightness will vary with temperature. If you set the cables a bit tight on a 90 degree day and then fly at -30 degrees a few months later, they will be very tight-use your brain on this one. When you are done, make sure you have fewer than three threads showing on the turnbuckles. If things don't work out right, start all over but this time have a different number of threads showing when you start so that things will work out right. Then when you are about done, double check that you can get full rudder travel (as shown in the POH-if not, you won't be able to do crosswind landings). Also, now would be a good time to loosen the turnbuckles a bit, replace the nylon lock nuts that hold that splice block (this part probably has a name) and then tighten back to where you were and then safety wire using instructions that you can find in any aviation text or on the internet. I hope you can follow this rambling description, and I hope someone else will review it and let me know if I've done anything wrong (so I can fix my plane) If the plane doesn't fly true after, there are a number of things that can be done. It the rudder needs to be adjusted to have the plane fly true, there may be a spring under the rudder pedal than can be adjusted (my plane has only a little tab on the trailing edge of the rudder. If the ailerons are off a bit after rigging, so that the plane is always banking to one side, the correction is to shim the flap a bit to true the bank- This is the quick fix and not the best way. The correct way is to get everthing correct-wing incidence, aileron trueness, etc, but when all else fails, shim one flap a bit (or unshim the other) Again, hope to here a lot from the more knowledgeable members of this group, so I can learn how this all should really be done.

Thanks, that is a lot of good information. You mention a POH; I haven’t got one that I have found. All I have with the paper work is the Flight Manual (two of them it was revised in 8/7/1959)

I googled the POH and came up with Bellanca 14-19-2 Cruisemaster Operation & Maintenance (part# BE14-19-OPS) from Essco for $17.00.

If anyone knows of a better one let me know I’m going to order this one next week.

Thanks again for the help,

That sounds like the one and only entire body of literature on the 14-19-2. You are required to have that in the plane if I'm not mistaken.

Reading your note and my reply, let me make it clearer. There is just one factory manual for the plane that combines the POH and maintenance information all in one. If you have it, then the one from Essco is probably the same one. If you have one booklet from the factory then you have all the booklets from the factory.

That manual is available from the Club B20-091 at $6.95 (member price)
Another useful item is the Cruisemaster Service Letter Collection B20-111 $25.95 (member price)

Regards,

Ditto Robert, well worth the money spent! The info from the club has saved me countless hours and been there mistakes. Lynn the crate :D

Back