roll trim issues...

trombair

greetings!

ever since i brought N522A (14-19 s/n 2075) home with me, it's been a bit right wing heavy. i have repaired a couple of items such as aileron bushings and counterweight brackets in an effort to locate the problem, but so far no change. the ailerons do not appear to be warped and the yokes are level when the ailerons are centered. the factory suggests drooping a flap to raise the heavy wing, but this seems crude and inefficient to me.

i'm wondering about the tail rigging and what effect it might have on roll trim. anyone ever tweak the tail wires this way? there is almost no info available on rigging the tail even from the factory. any input is much appreciated! :D

vic steelhammer & N522A

Vic I had a Cherokee with a heavy wing and drooping the flap fixed it. That is the method called out in the Cherokee manual. Since there is no way to wash out the Cruisemaster wing try the flap trick. If your concerned about the tail, a transit level will tell you if it is in line. Level the airplane and then set up the transit and it will tell you if the plane is inline. LYNN N9818B the crate :roll:

Had the same problem and after tweaking and lowering the right flap, I finally just said the hell with it and put a small trim tab on the left aileron of my Cruisiar and it works just fine, though I never really thought they were hands off airplanes (at least not for long!)

Look at both ailerons- are they flush with the bottom of the wing? My little Cruisair's right aileron had been repaired kinda crudely and ended up about half an inch below the wing when it was neutral- kind of like an aileron on a Ju-52! That caused the right wing to hang heavy when level (according to the previous owner- I have yet to fly NC74392).
The other thing is definitely the horizontal stabilizer. If it's like my Cruisair, the two halves of the elevator bolt together inside the fuselage so you can't do much about that. The stabilizer is another matter. It's quite possible to twist the stab when tensioning the flying wires. If I were a betting man (rarely anyway), this is where I'd look. You may end up buying a new set of wires and retensioning them though...

I have a left wing heavy. One of the wings had been changed out sometime in the past. I put the plane on jacks and leveled all. then used a lazer level and worked on the horizontal. after 3 weeks of trying to tweek the tail and a week at lowering and raising flaps I put a trim tab on the left elevator. I found if I stay off the power and run around at 21/21 I don't have a problem. The more power I put in the more it starts to turn. the trouble is I like to run at 25/24 seems to go FASTER. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mine does the same thing anything over 21/21 and it rolls left. When above 150-180 true it really rolls left.

Mine rolled right too. I played with the flaps and checked ailerons, and ended up putting the tab in referred to above. It worked great! I think now, that I would also recheck cable tension. Didn't seem that anyone knew how much was required, so I would just go with what's in 43-13.

The factory does not support the 14-13 and the 14-19 uses the same controls as the Viking. You might try Andy, who knows :lol: :lol:

I wonder if uneven tensioning may contribute to the cracks found in the stabilizer carry-through tube plates :?:

Back