Rusty water dripped on my Plane

Tostby

Apparently my hangar has a leaky roof...and rusty water dripped on my Citabria. The rusty water dried on several surfaces (all fabric) and is not really wanting to come off with normal soap and water. I'm reluctant to just start grabbing solvents off the shelf before doing some research. The local A&P wasn't really sure and Google is only offering recommendations to remove rust from fabric clothes. Any recommendations from the forum?

Is the fabric and finish original from the factory? If not what "system" was used when the airplane was recovered? How old is the finish?

Bill

wpbarnar said:
Is the fabric and finish original from the factory? If not what "system" was used when the airplane was recovered? How old is the finish?

Bill

Original from the factory (1973) but received a fresh coat of paint in the late 80s.

Trey

I had good success removing stains on a newer finish with a cleaner/wax made by 3M. I purchased it locally at a West Marine. There are several companies that make "rust stain" removers. These typically contain phosphoric acid. I have used them on fiberglass with great results but never have tested them on a fabric/painted surface.

Bill

Back