SAFETY

glennhake

Your club is participating in an initiative to improve safety. Part of this program will be to developed best practices for Viking owners and instructors. We need your input!

• What aspects of your checkout or last flight review were informative and should be passed along?
• What have your learned since purchasing your Viking that you wish was covered on the checkout or review?
• What systems knowledge was good (or lacking) and should be included on the next review?
• What techniques and practices were suggested on your last instrument proficiency check that improves safety?
• What is your opinion on the wings program?

Please chime in here with any suggestions to improve the safety of our classic airplanes!

Glenn,
This should be posted on the other forums, as well.......
Everything we do, every day we live, risks abound.
Drive to the airport, pull the airplane out of the hangar, fueling, taxiing and flying all incur risks and possible safety issues.
What do we do to minimize these ? How do we do a better job performing these tasks?
Open topic.
Dan

I wrote out a checklist of ALL the things I actually do pre-flight- pre-taxi- taxi- and run-up
on the cruisair ( whole lot less complex than a Viking ! ) and it runs to 6 pages !

Clearly, we do a lot by habit and "flow" in single pilot general aviation, that isn't itemized in a typical checklist.

Theres a point or a warning in that.. but I'm not sure I can articulate it.

But the process is a good jumping off point for revising one's check lists.

--

Really understanding your airplane's systems is crucial when "s--t happens.

---

I keep a laminated flow type emergency procedures check list tucked next to the glare shield.

In a fire or engine out emergency, I don't want to rely ONLY on memory or habits I haven't practiced
as often as I did when I was a student.

Perhaps we can do an article on checklists for the next Bellanca-Champion Contact newsletter. I envision concentrating on normal procedures. I could use input on content, order, techniques for ensuring items are accomplished, and anything else you think may be useful. Please respond here or to my email glennhake@hotmail.com.

Our intent is to develop programs for the Viking as a template because it is the most complex airplane in the Bellanca-Champion fleet, then work our way to the less complex airplanes. That is why this thread is only on this forum initially. I will start this thread on other forums.

This forum is a subset of a larger service to our members to change the safely culture in a way to affect accident rate. It is an idea whose application to airline or corporate operations is relatively mature, but for general aviation needs to evolve in a relative way. You have the opportunity to be on the ground floor of this evolution by participating here or emailing me at glennhake@hotmail.com.

Back