Sealed battery installation

CraigH

:?: Has anyone installed one of the Concord sealed batteries in their Citabria as a replacement to the rubber battery box?

Craig, I did that about a year ago for my 8KCAB.
Been standard equipment in the Husky and Pitts for years.
Great battery.
You know how to contact me if you need any details.

Dave,
It requires a field approval here in the USA, but shouldn't be a problem. This is probably the route I'll be taking.

Craig,
the Concorde website lists their PMA's
http://www.concordebattery.com/products/get_pmalist.cfm
Your 7GCBC is not listed but the info should get your 337 thru easily.

Not a Citabria, but...

I've got one in my '58 Champion. The plane is still undergoing restoration, but my A&P/IA assured me that there'd be no problem with it. I didn't want to install an ugly box when I moved the battery from the firewall to behind the rear seat. I purchased the Concorde RG-25 model - $116.95 from Aircraft Spruce; free shipping. That seemed to be the going price. This was two weeks ago.

The firewall installation was left over from the original nosewheel configuration (mine's a 7FC to 7EC conversion).

Jon B.

This is a rather old topic, but it may be worth adding coments.
We have two 7GCBC's here and both needed a battery. We did not like the mainatance of Wet Flooded Cell batteries like the Gill batteries that we had. We also wanted better cold weather starting. We elected to install the Concord 35 amp RG battery. These are totally sealed and venting is not required. The problem was that the stock clamp would not work. We fabricated a clamp that had a offset across the top that cleared the rectangular caps and installed in the rubber box perfectly. We weighed the battery / box assembly before and after, we gained 8 oz.
Our AI applied for the required field approval.
When you install an RG (recombinate gas) battery you should also check and adjust as necessary your charging voltage. You also do not want to over charge one of these batteries.
No more acid spills / venting, no water to add, starts better, costs $15 - $20 more. Well worth it.

Regards
Morris

I installed a Gill 35 series in my 7GCBC, had never failed to crank until Katrina was on top of us, believe it or not had to get the wife to hold the brakes while I hand propped it to move to safer ground, thats another story. After the storm I didn't fly it for several weeks because of having to try to repair fence and other storm related damage, but to make a long story short when I did go to fly it the battery was dead, talked to Gill, these batteries are not for occasion use they need to work regular, also high temps are not good on these batteries either. Gill made the battery good and I went back with the wet cell battery. That was just my experience with the RG series battery.

Woodie
N29763

Back