Secondary Lap Belt

Blackhawk

My airplane has a 5 point Hooker harness with the normal metal latch. Recently I had a student apply aft stick in such a manner that it unlatched the belt. A little disconcerting to say the least. I am interested in installing a back up lap belt. Any ideas? Since it is a secondary restraint system must it be "FAA approved"? Thanks.

scary for sure.
I assume that since you have a 5 point hooker system you porbably do some acros. I have the same system in my Decathlon but it has both the 5 point and a secondary belt. The 5 point acro harness is attached to the airframe and the secondary lap belt is attached to the seat brackets. Both are the lever latch system. Although nothing is impossible it is highly unlikely that both latches could be accidently unhooked. My suggestion is to get the matching hooker secondary belt and brief your passenger.

I also have a Decathlon with one of the five point Hooker Harness set ups and an additional lap belt. The system has worked well for me. Receintly I flew an Extra 200 that must have had a competition Hooker Harness. This harness had two latching clips on one belt. Each clip closed in the opposite direction. This harness also has a ratcheting device providing a method for rearly tightening the belts.

Ken

Back