Side Gapped Spark Plugs

dtreid

I just received a NOS set of Champion C10S spark plugs from Fresno Airparts. The plugs are side gapped. Is this a problem for use in the Franklin. I just ask because the REJ38 plugs that came out of it are not.

I unwrapped the 1944 cosmoline covering from a box of plugs a few months ago and found some well preserved c10s with the ground electrodes just as you describe. They might work quite well for a short time in that configuration but gap out rapidly since the gap is formed by two corner edges. Not much meat there for spark erosion, so the gap will increase rapidly.

I was able to swing the ground electrode over and center it on two plugs, but I had my fingers crossed that it wouldn't end up with a hairline fracture.

BTW, many of the RV-6,7,8 boys are using 14mm unshielded auto plugs in their O360 lycs with great result. Spiral core automotive spark plug lead and the right resistor plug for $1.50 does it for them. Our Franklins wouldn't even need spark plug hole adapters.

Double BTW, I ran across something not long ago that the approval of the C10S plug had been withdrawn for some application. Dunno what.

r

how you plan to mate this auto stuff you your mags designed for shielded cables ?

crack up your plane with this rig and think you might get divested of your license to fly.

on the other hand if they'd let us have the electronic ignition with auto adj advance curve..
we'd be what.. on a par with a 56 vw ? :wink:

Back