Silk screen placard for 59 14-19-3

stinson6

Anybody know where I can get the silk screened placard that shows the landing gear and fuel tank selections on the center "console?"

I too have a 59 "-3"
My center console doesn't have a placard. It appears that all the info was printed on the console sheet metal before it was bent into it's final shape. Mine is well used but still readable. I had so much trouble with the part when I first got the plane that I think I lost all mojo to make it pretty again.. The exposed solder joints on the bulb holders for the gear indicators were so close to the fuel selector shaft that they'd occasionally touch, tripping the beaker. Previous owner was electrically-challenged, the constantly tripping breaker vexed him into frustration - took me about 10 minutes of studying the last page of the handbook to find the problem.

I've considered rebuilding that part replacing the bulb holders with LEDs but, got bigger fish to fry :)

When I first acquired my -3 the fuel selector placard was not legible - I did not really know what position was off, left, right or aux. I did figure this out but I was definitely not satisfied with the condition of the placard for aesthetic reasons. So I found a used fuel selector valve with the sheet metal bracket and all related parts. I purchased this used part for the purpose of rebuilding the unit and returning it to "better than new" condition. Just as Bill mentioned, I too have bigger fish to fry so this has not yet happened. However - and more directly related to your question - I intend to reproduce the placard as some point in time. I don't intend to screenprint the placard as the durability would not be there. Instead I want to use a process in which an aluminum panel is black anodized and the text image is etched through the anodized layer to provide the contrast - very typical of how industrial nameplates are manufactured. So... if you are not in a hurry I would be glad to make a small batch of these panels and my fellow -3 owners would all benefit. This will happen sometime in 2017, just not sure exactly when... Rob

Ok here's the scoop. I talked to the factory and they have them in stock. I am ordering the placard and I'll let you all know what it looks like.

What are they charging for this part? Looking forward to your feedback on the appearance of the placard... Rob

Well here's the scoop. The center console sticker was 29.95. I ordered a complete placard set include the Wing tank and cap stickers. Lastly, my rams horn steering columns were missing the sticker/medallions and when I inquired them, they found some. I ordered those too; they're the Downer medallions. All told, $129. I know, I splurged. But here's the thing. I'll try to use the factory as much as I can since they are in business.

Thanks for the update! How was the quality and appearance of the placards? Do you think they are left-overs from the good old days... or something made recently? Appreciate you feedback... Rob

They are making them. I'll post a pic before I put it on. I think the medallions are left over since when I asked about them they said they would look around.

..."Lastly, my rams horn steering columns were missing the sticker/medallions and when I inquired them, they found some."....

ok,I'm jealous.. wonder if they can find anymore?

Excited to learn that AAC had the placards, I called and ordered the same ones that Art mentioned above. I made sure to give them my serial number just in case there were any changes. Unfortunately when the package arrived neither the fuel selector placard or the control yoke sticker were correct for my 14-19-3 (see attached images). I believe these are both for the 14-19-3A (straight tail successor to the -3). The second image below illustrates how my fuel selector / gear light panel is laid out. Wondering if the other -3 owners might comment on what is correct for their plane...Rob

My fuel / gear placard looks like yours. After your success, I ordered a new one (which hasn't arrived yet), guess I'll be in sending it back...

When I ordered my control wheel emblems a couple years ago, it was part #195161 and they were $28.75 each. Looked like the picture below. They're still in good shape; happy to take better photos if someone can find a shop to make replicas.

Speaking of replicas, due to stupidity on my part, I cracked the lighting placard (the silk screened acrylic overlay) while replacing a rheostat. Alexandria couldn't find any more in stock and didn't offer to make one. The part doesn't look that complicated for someone with half an ability in working with plastics; anyone have recommendations for a shop that might be able to build a new one (including the printing)?

Brian - the round control yoke emblems are what I am looking for and a good close up picture would be very helpful. The parts that you bought a while back from AAC, are they vinyl stickers or are they made out of sheet aluminum? As for your cracked lighting placard are you referring to the panel in the lower left of the instrument panel? I might be able to help get a replacement made - send a picture of your panel and I will compare that to mine. I think we can probably figure out how to make one inexpensively... Rob

Here's a picture. While attempting to repair the damage, I did something that stripped off part of the silk screen. The piece is definitely usable as a template, just looks ugly. Plastics and I don't get along (hence the original crack), so this is a farm it out job for me.

The emblems are printed on thin metal. I assume it's aluminum, but I'll double check and try to take some better pictures when I'm in the hangar this weekend.

Bringing back a long-dead thread... My fuel / gear selector label was in pretty bad shape as well. A local sign company does really nice one-off work for the old car guys and made a replica for me using black vinyl on a silver vinyl. Not exactly the old placard, but very very close. I have 4-5 extras (under the first one's expensive, the others are cheap philosophy) that I'd be willing to part with. Pictures below. It looks like Rob's original sticker was one piece, while mine was definitely two pieces, so there may be some visible differences. I'm not an A&P, I'm definitely not your A&P, but mine was fine calling it an owner produced part. If anyone wants one of my extras, private message me.

IMG_2275-small.jpeg

Back