Slick Customer Service...

SoCalPlaneDoc

My -3 has new slicks. 6 of my client's planes have Slicks. My Stinson and Luscombe had Slicks. Despite an apparent feeling in the aviation world that Slicks arent all that good, I've never personally had, or know anyone that personally had any issue with them. Last Saturday, I started installing a Slick Set on my Skylane (replacing the 1900 hour TCM Mags - one of which failed).
Oops. I turned one of them without first removing the installation timing pin.. drat. Now it wont time properly. :oops:
So I called Champion Aerospace (owners of Slick) Customer Service - got a guy named Joe Logie - and confessed.
Joe told me he gets a call about a supposed DOA mag at least once a week. When he gets it in his hands it almost always is the same thing - pin left in and mag (or engine) turned BUT the customer rarely admits it. They get charged for repair and shipping (and it can take up to three weeks). But, since I confessed up front (and am an IA) he's sending me the part I broke, the current overhaul manual, and the required special tool for FREE!!!

ya gotta love good American Customer Service.

2-Magnetos-w-harness-LO1-300x206.jpg

Did that once, and now I take masking tape and run a "streamer" from pin to prop. Sucks getting old(er), but then consider the alternative! I talked to Joe Logie years ago, and also found him very helpful. It's nice when there really is customer service, and it is not just some department that takes your call and blows you off.

Back