Spillage during oil change...

lloydfisher

When I remove the oil screen housinig during each oil change, I almost always get a significant amount of oil spilled down the back of the engine. Has anyone developed a process that avoids this?

Thanks!

I use a variety of homemade pans that will fit beneath the screen (or filter) depending on what I'm working on. For my 7ECA, I used a 1 quart plastic oil bottle cut in half around the outside with a razor blade to make a shallow pan. Some installations give you enough room to do the same thing, but with a 1 gallon anti freeze jug. I have also used the microvave pans that come with various lunch food products. I try to wedge the pan in there so it will just collect the oil while I'm cleaning the screen or cutting up the filter. Sometimes you just have to hold it for a minute, until most of the oil has leaked out. You still end up with a little leakage, but that's going away when you solvent wash the engine, which I do after every oil change.
The best solution of all, IMHO, is to get rid of the screen and put an Airwolf oil filter adaptor on the firewall. One nice aside, along with the obvious ones, is that you will stop worrying about how many more oil changes you get before the oil temp probe is beyond the help of ViseGrips.

Hag

Lloyd,

This doesn't really solve your direct issue, but have you thought about a remote oil filter? Mine is located on the firewall. I also have an aeroquip quick drain that makes the whole process very easy and clean for the most part. Just an idea...

Jon

I have the Airwolf remote filter and it is "mess free" and doesn't require removing the top cowl, however it's an expensive unit and also requires 2 additional hoses (I purchased lifetime 15.5 inch hoses at about $80 each).

You might want to look into the Casper Labs oil filter adapter.

http://www.chiefaircraft.com/airsec/Aircraft/OilSystem/FilterConversionKits.html

It's costs much less than the Airwolf and requires no hoses. When changing oil with the Casper Labs adapter, you punch a small hole in the top of the filter which allows the oil to drain back into the engine, then remove the filter without making a mess.

With the Casper Labs unit you have to remove the top cowl (not a bad idea to inspect the engine). Also, check that you don't have a vacuum line going through the firewall directly opposite the oil screen housing, if you have a vacuum pump.

Of course the least expensive method is to continue living with the oil screen and dealing with a bit of cleanup.

Best of luck

I have the Casper Labs adapter on my '97 8KCAB. I have to use the shorter Champion oil filter (CH48108-1) to clear the cowling, but the overall setup works just fine.

Its much better than dealing with the oil screen every 25 hrs and wondering if the oil temp gauge will work after I put it all back together.

Paul

I also quickly tired of this hassle; and just installed a B&C Oil Filter Adapter. To fit without moving oil lines or placing stresses on them the install required the 1.4" spacer. Since the install was done 1-1/2 weeks ago I haven't had the opportunity to change the oil yet, but it sure looks like it will be a snap. Aircraft is a 8KCAB Super Decathlon with the AEIO-360. I highly recommend B&C.

Back